Newbee

Feri Elek

May 22, 2022, 10:54:57 AM5/22/22
to London Hackspace
Hello. I just joined Hackspace and would like to know if there's a site intro for joiners and who do I have to speak to about using 3D printers, vinyl cutter, sand blaster... etc. Thanks. Feri

Ant -

May 22, 2022, 11:01:31 AM5/22/22
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
It's quite a new resource for us so there aren't sections on it for all those things but discord will be your friend I feel. I think there is a link for it on the website somewhere but I've just generated this one which will be good for 24 hours.

For things a specific section doesn't exist for yet you can post in the general channel and either get feedback there or someone with the ability to do so will add the sections for you.

There is also the wiki which can be found at wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk

Kind regards
Ant

On Sun, 22 May 2022, 15:54 Feri Elek, <elek....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello. I just joined Hackspace and would like to know if there's a site intro for joiners and who do I have to speak to about using 3D printers, vinyl cutter, sand blaster... etc. Thanks. Feri

Feri Elek

May 22, 2022, 11:20:31 AM5/22/22
to London Hackspace
Thanks Ant. I've been looking at Wiki but couldn't find clear instructions eg. re 3D printing. The 2.5yrs old video on YouTube also mentions that I have to get trained and also 'speak to maintainers' when it comes to other equipment.

Registered myself on Discord and my account got immediately disabled... lol. No idea why but will google it.

I'll carry on looking at the Wiki but found it quite time-consuming to find answers to my questions.

Ant -

May 22, 2022, 12:11:55 PM5/22/22
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The 3d printer and some other devices do require training before you can use them. This is in part to keep the tool safe but also to keep you safe. For example if you approach a table saw with the attitude of whats the worst that can happen you will likely leave the table saw scratching your head with the stump that was once your hand 😉

We hold work weekends about once a month, they are announced on discord and the mailing list as is what equipment training will be on offer. A contribution for the training is made to the maintainer and they will generally take out their expenses and put the rest back into the space.

In the case of the 3D printer if you ask on discord if anyone is avaliable to do training you may find someone who is coming in and willing to put their project on hold while they induct you.

Many tools don't need induction, if you sign into the main site there is a page on the menu called access or something similar which will list the devices that need training and show you which of them you have been rated for already.

When work days occur you register your place for the training on the wiki page for the tool. To edit the wiki you need to create a wiki account this is seperate to your HS login or discord account but you may use the same login and password if you wish too.

Kind regards
Ant

Adrian Godwin

May 22, 2022, 1:11:54 PM5/22/22
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Please don't add more topics to discord. It takes ages to click around them all and read one or two messages in each. Cut them down to about half a dozen in total instead, please.

henry...@ntlworld.com

May 23, 2022, 3:36:41 PM5/23/22
to London Hackspace
" For example if you approach a table saw with the attitude of what's the worst that can happen you will likely leave the table saw scratching your head with the stump that was once your hand 😉" aside from the possible damage to the table saw and the inevitable damage to our insurance premiums.😁

Ant -

May 23, 2022, 4:30:38 PM5/23/22
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The blood takes ages to clean out and really gums up the workings to.

michael....@gmail.com

May 23, 2022, 4:32:56 PM5/23/22
to London Hackspace
Also please DO NOT reuse passwords. Yes I know that people end up doing that anyway, but please don't :)

henry...@ntlworld.com

May 23, 2022, 4:58:50 PM5/23/22
to London Hackspace
Especially if you have to do it with only one hand.