Knitting Machine Status

Russ Garrett

Oct 31, 2011, 8:06:31 PM10/31/11
to London Hack Space
I spent 4 hours quality time with this infernal device tonight. Here's
the short (hah!) summary of what I learned (I will put more info on
the wiki):

1) I managed to successfully get the thing knitting some plain wool
*fairly* easily again.

2) I then moved on to attaching the ribber to it. 30 minutes were
spent locating the appropriate parts and deciphering the relevant
manuals. The resulting, highly improbable-looking, contraption appears
as follows:

http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/w/images/9/96/Knitting-machine-with-ribber.jpg

(Yes, I realise now that I got the tensioner backwards. I don't think
it compromises the following results.)

Although mechanically sound, the thing would not knit anything in a
ribbed configuration. It would either seize up on the ribber side of
things, or the yarn would snap. Or both. Despite trying to move the
carriage fairly robustly I don't believe any of the needles were
damaged on the ribber.

One thing I did note is that the ribber does not have a sponge as
such, it has a silicone pad which doesn't have as much "give" as the
sponge on the knitter.

3) I packed the stuff away fucking meticulously. There are now 5
separate items sitting under the light table, as follows:
a) The knitting machine, in its proper case. This now contains
everything you need to use the knitter, in its proper places in the
box. Next time you open the box, take note of how stuff is attached to
the lid, because it took me 20mins to get it in properly.
b) The ribber, its accessories (plus a couple of large spares for the
knitting machine), in a cardboard box. Some of these accessories might
be useful for using the knitter alone but they are not essential for
it.
c) A plastic box with the yarn, elastic, and misc additional knitter
accessories.
d) The "Knit-Leader" and its tube of supplies, loose.
e) The Waitrose bag of knitting books, which now includes the manuals
for all the devices.

4) We have a big bag of what on quick inspection seem to be new
needles for the knitter, as well as at least 10 needles in the knitter
accessories box which are definitely new.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

tom

Nov 1, 2011, 8:04:38 AM11/1/11
to London Hackspace
is it worth labelling each part with "this is for...."?

Did you have a play with the document scanner? we've had a fair bit of
success with it :)

On Nov 1, 12:06 am, Russ Garrett <r...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:
> I spent 4 hours quality time with this infernal device tonight. Here's
> the short (hah!) summary of what I learned (I will put more info on
> the wiki):
>
> 1) I managed to successfully get the thing knitting some plain wool
> *fairly* easily again.
>
> 2) I then moved on to attaching the ribber to it. 30 minutes were
> spent locating the appropriate parts and deciphering the relevant
> manuals. The resulting, highly improbable-looking, contraption appears
> as follows:
>
> http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/w/images/9/96/Knitting-machine-wi...
> r...@garrett.co.uk

Russ Garrett

Nov 1, 2011, 10:10:29 AM11/1/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On 1 November 2011 12:04, tom <bollo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> is it worth labelling each part with "this is for...."?

I labelled the boxes with do-not-hack stickers. Ideally we need to
point people towards the wiki first, before they try to fiddle with
it.

> Did you have a play with the document scanner? we've had a fair bit of
> success with it :)

Didn't try it - my main goal was trying to get the ribber working, and
that wasn't massively successful.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

tom

Nov 1, 2011, 1:28:14 PM11/1/11
to London Hackspace
i recently found out that my girlfriends nan used to teach knitting
machine classes and has about 6 of these machines, at some point she's
going to teach me how to use them :)

I was thinking of marking each part so that its obvious which box they
bits on the floor when i use them and muddling them up!

On Nov 1, 2:10 pm, Russ Garrett <r...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:
> On 1 November 2011 12:04, tom <bollocks...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > is it worth labelling each part with "this is for...."?
>
> I labelled the boxes with do-not-hack stickers. Ideally we need to
> point people towards the wiki first, before they try to fiddle with
> it.
>
> > Did you have a play with the document scanner? we've had a fair bit of
> > success with it :)
>
> Didn't try it - my main goal was trying to get the ribber working, and
> that wasn't massively successful.
>
> --
> Russ Garrett
> r...@garrett.co.uk

Billy

Nov 1, 2011, 1:44:01 PM11/1/11
to London Hackspace

On Nov 1, 5:28 pm, tom <bollocks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i recently found out that my girlfriends nan used to teach knitting
> machine classes and has about 6 of these machines, at some point she's
> going to teach me how to use them :)

Why not invite her down?

It would make an interesting workshop...

SheraDreaming

Nov 2, 2011, 8:28:33 PM11/2/11
to London Hackspace
This sounds like an occasion where taking (bright) mobile photos of
things put away properly could be a good idea.

Lay stuff out on the ground/table with its accessories in an arc
around it.

Take photo.

Draw arrows on pic with marker or software pointing to where they go &
label.

Stick photos in a prominent place.

This way fucking incidence will be reduced.

tom

Nov 3, 2011, 8:02:55 AM11/3/11
to London Hackspace
fucking incidence?

SheraDreaming

Nov 3, 2011, 7:04:23 PM11/3/11
to London Hackspace
See 3) in Russ's original post.

wouldn't want to reduce fucking incidence without good reason