Tesla no longer has root access

Mark Steward

Jun 3, 2016, 12:57:49 PM6/3/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
After a recent discussion on IRC, we've removed root from the tesla user, as we can't think of a reason for it to have it. In addition, I'd like to point out that you can log in with a guest account in order to get a clean environment.

If you're having trouble getting something to work on Tesla, please get in touch with me (ideally) or one of the generally helpful network infrastructure people, or reply to this email.

Cheers,
Mark

Christian Jaeger

Jul 8, 2016, 9:28:56 PM7/8/16
to london-hack-space, felix....@gmail.com
Today a member (Felix) wanted to test his LED display with RS-232 port and both the built-in serial ports on Tesla and a plugged-in USB serial adapter from Felix show up with permissions rw-rw---- for root dialup, and the tesla user is not member of the dialup group.

Can this be changed?

Christian+Felix

Mark Steward

Jul 8, 2016, 9:35:45 PM7/8/16
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, felix....@gmail.com

Done. You may need to log out and back in again for it to take effect.

I'm on IRC for a short while if that doesn't work.

Mark