ESP32 Project help

Paul S

Mar 11, 2021, 6:00:49 PM3/11/21
to London Hackspace
Hi,

I am looking for some help with completing a ESP32 based project. Basically I have put together readily available modules with the ESP32 and got it working. Now I need to make it compact and so would have to use the individual IC/components. Please let me know if anybody can help or point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Regards,
Paul

Adrian Godwin

Mar 11, 2021, 7:13:26 PM3/11/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
My preference would be to use a module, because the built-in aerial has critical dimensions and is not trivial to tune.
However, if you absolutely have to use the bare IC, try to find an application note that is very specific indeed about the aerial and its filters, and follow it to the letter.

Although different ICs, the application notes from Nordic semiconductor may also be helpful in understanding the critical parts of the layout.

Medad rufus

Mar 11, 2021, 7:28:10 PM3/11/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I would imagine you have read the hardware design guidelines specifically for the ESP32?

I must comment that the ESP32 wroom modules are already quite compact, packing in the ESP IC and the flash chip(essential for normal working). It also contains a very compact PCB antenna. A teardown can be found here: (youtube link). But I if you want to push it, indeed you can mount the flash chip on the underside of the PCB or use a smaller flash chip/crystal.

Medad

Adrian Godwin

Mar 11, 2021, 7:34:08 PM3/11/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Here's a recent one that does do it from scratch. He's used a ceramic antenna which is both smaller than a pcb one and removes some  (but not all) of the critical layout points. You could possibly contract him (he's unexpected_maker on twitter) to lay yours out for you.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/4335

Christian Valdivia Torres

Mar 12, 2021, 5:21:16 AM3/12/21
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
This is another resource, Ladyada discussing a setup for the S2:

Paul S

Mar 12, 2021, 12:24:26 PM3/12/21
to London Hackspace
Very valuable information - thank you very much.
I guess aiming to use the ESP 32 IC is a costly and time consuming adventure. I may have to be park that idea for a while. If then, is there someone here who can help me in putting the ESP wroom module and other sensors together and design a PCB? I am happy to pay for the time. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Thanks
Paul

Matthew

Mar 12, 2021, 1:36:16 PM3/12/21
to London Hackspace
Hi Paul,

Could you share what sensors you wish to use in your project? There's a plethora of off-the-shelf ESP8266 based devices, both modules and packaged products. One might fit your requirements

Cheers

Paul S

Mar 15, 2021, 12:17:22 PM3/15/21
to London Hackspace
Hi Matthew,

I was looking for things like additional capactive touch sensors, gyro etc., and couldn't find one. However someone from the forum has reached out to help me put things together. Thanks for the support.

Regards,
Paul