Plastidip!

r.j.bra...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2011, 1:03:57 PM10/6/11
to London Hackspace
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was any Plastidip at the
Hackspace, or does anyone know if there's anything that would
substitute for it well?

I need to coat the end of some small wire hooks with *something* to
stop them being so stabby, and to make them a bit more colourful. I
could dunk them in epoxy resin, but that only fixes the stabby
problem, not the making them colourful problem. Wax won't be resistant
enough to wear.

I'm loathe to buy a tin of Plastidip off the internet because I'm a
skinflint, and I only need about a tablespoon of the stuff!

Any ideas anyone?

Robin

Adrian Godwin

Oct 6, 2011, 1:08:27 PM10/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Sugru ?

Mike

Oct 6, 2011, 1:15:33 PM10/6/11
On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 10:03:57AM -0700, r.j.bra...@googlemail.com wrote:
> Hello all,

> I need to coat the end of some small wire hooks with *something* to
> stop them being so stabby, and to make them a bit more colourful. I
> could dunk them in epoxy resin, but that only fixes the stabby
> problem, not the making them colourful problem. Wax won't be resistant
> enough to wear.

Dye the epoxy.

Mike.

signature.asc

r.j.bra...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2011, 2:04:31 PM10/6/11
to London Hackspace

Adrian: I tried a little blob of Sugru, and it's too thick to look
neat on the small wire hook - I was wondering if there would be any
kind of thinner that would turn it into more of a paste than a putty,
but I wouldn't know where to start looking for something like that.

Mike: I thought that might be possible, I'll go and nose at various
epoxy-dying options.

thanks!

Robin

Michael Shiloh

Oct 6, 2011, 4:49:41 PM10/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
epoxy glue?
hot glue?

--
Michael Shiloh
Artist, designer, teacher, tinkerer, geek

Glen

Oct 7, 2011, 3:34:09 AM10/7/11
to London Hackspace
I put a tub of Silicone cement next to the donation boxes. Is sets
after an hour exposed to the air, after 24 hours it's dishwasher-safe.
There are many choices of colour.

Glen

On Oct 6, 6:03 pm, "r.j.brayhur...@googlemail.com"

r.j.bra...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2011, 10:51:45 AM10/7/11
to London Hackspace
Excellent!

Thanks all - I'll try a few things and see what gives the neatest
finish.

Glen - is it OK for me to pinch a bit of your silicone cement, or is
it there so I know what to look for in a DIY shop?

Robin