Home brew CPU

Ken Boak

Oct 21, 2011, 5:40:20 PM10/21/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Some weeks ago there was discussion here about a home made cpu  (in relays, diodes, valves, transistors, TTL  or FPGA).

Here's a link to one such project.

https://sites.google.com/site/bunchofprojects/home/Jam1_16_bit_vhdl_cpu

Note to the brave - if you want to build your own cpu, park your life for the next 5 years.

Ken

Nigel Worsley

Oct 21, 2011, 8:55:34 PM10/21/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> Some weeks ago there was discussion here about a home made cpu  (in relays, diodes, valves, transistors, TTL  or FPGA).
Just had a really crazy idea, use the laser cutter to create a CPU in fluidic logic!

Fluidic logic has no moving parts except the fluid and looks to be really cool but may not be practical. More conventional
fluid logic with a moving part may work better but is rather more work to make.

Nigle

Jim MacArthur

Oct 28, 2011, 9:20:33 AM10/28/11
On 22 October 2011 01:55, Nigel Worsley <nig...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Just had a really crazy idea, use the laser cutter to create a CPU in fluidic logic!

Fluidic logic has no moving parts except the fluid and looks to be really cool but may not be practical. More conventional
fluid logic with a moving part may work better but is rather more work to make.

I don't think that's an entirely crazy idea. You could use water or air as working fluid for it. I understand the basic principles and the shapes involved for and/or/not gates and amplifiers, but I've never found anything specifying the exact shapes needed. Have you seen anything like that? Otherwise I guess it'd just be a case of lots of trial and error (or getting a degree in fluid mechanics).

Jim

Tim Hutt

Oct 28, 2011, 9:30:41 AM10/28/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I think that is a great idea actually. You could have multiple
layers of perspex to get 3D channels. Have the very top layer
pressurised (Vcc) and the bottom open (ground).

I've seen physical designs (with identical equations actually) for
capacitors, resistors, inductors, and transistors. I think they could
probably all be made laser-cut with some additional components (e.g.
rubber sheet for capacitors), hinges for transistors.