Giant phone display

24 views
Skip to first unread message

tom

unread,
Sep 22, 2011, 9:29:53 AM9/22/11
to London Hackspace
Does the giant phone display work still?

I have a cunning plan

M

unread,
Sep 22, 2011, 10:02:53 AM9/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
It's probably been ignored for an eternity

On 22 September 2011 14:29, tom <bollo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does the giant phone display work still?
>
> I have a cunning plan

--
>
++++++++++[>+>+++>++
+++++>++++++++++<<<<
-]>>>+++++++.>++++++
+++++.+++..---------
.++++++++++.<<+++.<.

Martin

unread,
Sep 22, 2011, 11:07:18 AM9/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Is it as cunning as a fox what used to be Professor of Cunning at Oxford University but has moved on, and is now working for the UN at the High Commission of International Cunning Planning?

tom

unread,
Sep 22, 2011, 12:43:51 PM9/22/11
to London Hackspace
if by that you mean "replacing the storage in a USB memory stick with
a linux machine" then yes :)

Martin

unread,
Sep 22, 2011, 1:37:02 PM9/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
thats so not blackadder :(

Bernard Tyers

unread,
Sep 22, 2011, 2:09:04 PM9/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Tom,

I like the sound of your cunning stunt. May you keep the magic smoke inside.

Bernard

=====
Bernard / bluboxthief / ei8fdb
IO91XM / www.ei8fdb.org
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.17 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools - http://gpgtools.org

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJOe3nBAAoJENsz1IO7MIrr+9sH/3ojIP6UcFf+i4aTESIbyW61
kCbtjqZR81vQoRQk08zKXoCJri3JRJtsLWMn4fOHuywHsr//ZG3Leme2uXiNkG02
LSAvpQTL+B93FsZ2AN6zGhdRlcINM54m3c/W9ojKT+Yx6kg0MJG0EAEdscgadLmy
IIiMS2xSH9NdP64kU7mHmPk4XF+c64A/woCz5cDJxe1X3f6Bl77NlHWqBxXEoSYa
FiXX+66sFIkZqs0XZqqbWPXUG9lTqDFUHx4X8oQYdUWEfg1SomE/2Tet2NZcJ7Y3
0+T0ilTH7gyZr0OtI79tillorQpMzSvQY8jtbmWyJFxaXjvyvFEE8H4Sqw9JRlU=
=CMMN
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

tom

unread,
Sep 22, 2011, 3:46:25 PM9/22/11
to London Hackspace
game over, the Phone is broken :(
It wasnt me!

On Sep 22, 7:09 pm, Bernard Tyers <ei8...@ei8fdb.org> wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Tom,
>
> I like the sound of your cunning stunt. May you keep the magic smoke inside.
>
> Bernard
>
> On 22 Sep 2011, at 17:43, tom wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > if by that you mean "replacing the storage in a USB memory stick with
> > a linux machine" then yes :)
>
> > On Sep 22, 4:07 pm, Martin <crysi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >>  Is it as cunning as a fox what used to be Professor of Cunning at Oxford
> >> University but has moved on, and is now working for the UN at the High
> >> Commission of International Cunning Planning?
>
> >> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 2:29 PM, tom <bollocks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>> Does the giant phone display work still?
>
> >>> I have a cunning plan
>
> =====
> Bernard / bluboxthief / ei8fdb
> IO91XM /www.ei8fdb.org
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.17 (Darwin)
> Comment: GPGTools -http://gpgtools.org

Sci

unread,
Sep 22, 2011, 6:36:09 PM9/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
awww, how broken? :(

tom

unread,
Sep 23, 2011, 7:15:23 AM9/23/11
to London Hackspace
well the cable conencting the display to the mainboard was
disconnected and we cant find where to reconnect it

Shame as i've just got my remotely editable USB stick to work :/

M

unread,
Sep 23, 2011, 10:00:25 AM9/23/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure I can remember where the connections go because I had
a look at it and was the one who took the tape off of it initially
after it came off of the wall bracket. I did make a point of
reconnecting everything properly though. I'll have a look soon,
probably Sunday.


On 23 September 2011 14:47, Si765 <simon....@sls-ltd.com> wrote:
> Hi I provided the giant phone display sometime ago.  On the day it
> arrived someone in that space managed to find the manuals for the
> photo frame PCB that runs the display.
> the board have 2 ouptuts one is suitable for the panel in the phone
> unit. I am sure links for this were posted to the list.
>
> Please note this unit will never display TV, Video or a PC unless u
> replace the driver board.  The photo frame board provides a direct
> drive for the LCD matrix it will rea

--

Si765

unread,
Sep 23, 2011, 9:47:12 AM9/23/11
to London Hackspace
Hi I provided the giant phone display sometime ago. On the day it
arrived someone in that space managed to find the manuals for the
photo frame PCB that runs the display.
the board have 2 ouptuts one is suitable for the panel in the phone
unit. I am sure links for this were posted to the list.

Please note this unit will never display TV, Video or a PC unless u
replace the driver board. The photo frame board provides a direct
drive for the LCD matrix it will rea



On Sep 23, 12:15 pm, tom <bollocks...@gmail.com> wrote:

tom

unread,
Sep 23, 2011, 12:21:39 PM9/23/11
to London Hackspace
ta, we figured as much. My plan was to build a USB stick that has its
storage on my laptop and mounted over a serial connection. Stick two
images on there and as one is displayed we update the other from a
network connection.

It works so far but obviously i cant test it on the actual display!

Matthew Millman

unread,
Sep 28, 2011, 5:56:22 PM9/28/11
to London Hackspace
Hi Guys

I was shown your giant phone display this evening. I might be able to
help out making it useful (assuming it's worth the effort). The
internal controller board can be replaced with one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Compatible-R-RM5251-LCD-Controller-Board-Kit-DVI-/280742941688?pt=COMP_EN_Networking_Components&hash=item415d9553f8

This will convert the LCD Panel's LVDS signals to something useable
(i.e. DVI). it'll also give it a standard LCD monitor OSD with the 5-7
usual buttons.

It'll need the correct software flashed onto it for the panel in your
oversized phone. I've got the programmer, as well as all of the
available firmware images for it. Provided one of them is suitable for
that panel (I'd need to get the panel's model number/datasheet and
examine it) it should be pretty easy to make work, if not, it'll be
tough as the source code isn't available, but I have had a fair amount
of success decompiling and hacking the binary firmware images in the
past.

Matt

On Sep 23, 7:21 pm, tom <bollocks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ta, we figured as much. My plan was to build a USB stick that has its
> storage on my laptop and mounted over a serial connection. Stick two
> images on there and as one is displayed we update the other from a
> network connection.
>
> It works so far but obviously i cant test it on the actual display!
>
> On Sep 23, 2:47 pm, Si765 <simon.fran...@sls-ltd.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > Hi I provided the giantphonedisplay sometime ago.  On the day it
> > arrived someone in that space managed to find the manuals for the
> > photo frame PCB that runs the display.
> > the board have 2 ouptuts one is suitable for the panel in thephone
> > unit. I am sure links for this were posted to the list.
>
> > Please note this unit will never display TV, Video or a PC unless u
> > replace the driver board.  The photo frame board provides a direct
> > drive for theLCDmatrix it will rea
>
> > On Sep 23, 12:15 pm, tom <bollocks...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > well the cable conencting the display to the mainboard was
> > > disconnected and we cant find where to reconnect it
>
> > > Shame as i've just got my remotely editable USB stick to work :/
>
> > > On Sep 22, 11:36 pm, Sci <s...@sci-fi-fox.com> wrote:
>
> > > > awww, how broken? :(
>
> > > > On 22/09/2011 20:46, tom wrote:
>
> > > > > game over, thePhoneis broken :(
> > > > > It wasnt me!
>
> > > > > On Sep 22, 7:09 pm, Bernard Tyers <ei8...@ei8fdb.org> wrote:
> > > > > Tom,
>
> > > > > I like the sound of your cunning stunt. May you keep the magic smoke inside.
>
> > > > > Bernard
>
> > > > > On 22 Sep 2011, at 17:43, tom wrote:
>
> > > > >>>> if by that you mean "replacing the storage in a USB memory stick with
> > > > >>>> a linux machine" then yes :)
>
> > > > >>>> On Sep 22, 4:07 pm, Martin <crysi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > > > >>>>>  Is it as cunning as a fox what used to be Professor of Cunning at Oxford
> > > > >>>>> University but has moved on, and is now working for the UN at the High
> > > > >>>>> Commission of International Cunning Planning?
>
> > > > >>>>> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 2:29 PM, tom <bollocks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > > >>>>>> Does the giantphonedisplay work still?

tom

unread,
Sep 29, 2011, 4:19:29 AM9/29/11
to London Hackspace
Yup thats the conclusion I came to, but until we can prove the panel
itself isnt f**ked I dont want to buy one :)

Take the back metal panel off and the display board has "LVDS_IN"
silkscreened on it, the pins are marked too


On Sep 28, 10:56 pm, Matthew Millman <inax...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I was shown your giant phone display this evening. I might be able to
> help out making it useful (assuming it's worth the effort). The
> internal controller board can be replaced with one of these:
>
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Compatible-R-RM5251-LCD-Controller-Board-Ki...

Matthew Millman

unread,
Sep 29, 2011, 5:56:47 AM9/29/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
As it happens, I have a couple already. Assuming you guys haven't found another use for it; once I've finished my current LCD project, I might have a look at it (assuming I can find the time).

It's a shame the front is scuffed up, it's a pretty cool piece of hardware!

Matthew Millman

unread,
Sep 29, 2011, 6:22:30 AM9/29/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to mention, there's another option too. Most Intel GMCH's have a (lousy) 18-bit LVDS output (except SCH Poulsbo which is 24-bit), which can be enabled using the IEGD. Learning curve is a bit steep but it's manageable. Boards like D945GSEJT come with an LVDS connector fitted. If the panel is a 24-bit "LVDS24.1" format model, this complicates things a little but they can still be used, however requiring a powerful FPGA to perform the LVDS signal conversion (I happen to have a board handy which does this)

I've not ever succeeded using this approach (mainly because I haven't really tried yet, but have a project in the pipeline). The advantage is that you get a windows GUI to configure your display timings, instead of spending 3 months disassembling LCD controller firmware!
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages