Pachube/Nanode evening at London Hackspace, Thursday 1 Sept

Martin Dittus

Aug 25, 2011, 5:11:31 PM8/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

after months of exciting progress and more than a handful of remarkable milestones Nanode is coming home: Ken Boak, the creator of this low-cost Internet-enabled microcontroller will visit the London Hackspace next week on Thursday 1 Sept, and with him Usman Haque of Pachube, to talk about the Internet of Things and the Nanode project.

This is a good opportunity to catch up on their respective progress (lots of recent news on all sides: Nanode Applications weekend, OggCamp, ...), a great chance for beginners to get familiar with both projects, and just generally a chance to hang out with the Nanode community.

Everyone's invited, please spread the word!

Is anyone interested in showing off their Nanode or Pachube projects? Get in touch with Ken or myself, or just bring it along on the night.

martind.

PS: As we were preparing this email we started collecting some of the news of the last weeks. It's virtually impossible to mention it all but I made an attempt to highlight the biggest news at the end of this invitation. Let us know if we missed anything or if I got anything wrong.

==============
= Invitation =
==============

Nanode & Pachube at the London Hackspace
With Usman Haque and Ken Boak
Thursday 1 Sept 2011 (starts around 8pm)

Pachube (pronounced "PATCH-bay") is a London-based on-line database service provider allowing developers to connect sensor data to the Web and to build their own applications on it. It was created in 2007 by architect Usman Haque. Following the nuclear accidents in Japan in 2011, Pachube was used by volunteers to interlink Geiger counters across the country to monitor the fallout.
http://pachube.com/

Nanode is an open source Arduino-like board that has in-built web connectivity, designed by Ken Boak in late 2010. It is a low cost platform for creative development of web connected ideas. The first boards were produced for the London Hackspace in early 2011, and by mid-2011 more than 500 boards have been sold worldwide. Nanode boards can easily be soldered by absolute beginners in electronics.
http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Project:Nanode

London Hackspace
Units 23 & 24, Cremer Business Centre
37 Cremer Street
London E2 8HD

http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Laboratory_24/Getting_There

================
= Pachube News =
================

Pachube remains a major supporter of the Nanode, they're sponsoring events and in the US Nanodes are bundled with Pachube accounts.

In July Pachube announced that they were acquired by LogMeIn:
http://blog.pachube.com/2011/07/pachube-just-got-some-rocket-fuel.html

Among other things Pachube are working on new immersive ways of displaying sensor data:
http://apps.pachube.com/porthole/

Pachube user Marian Steinbach set up real-time Pachube feeds for 1,750 radiation data sensors in Germany:
http://blog.pachube.com/2011/07/no-more-secrets-open-data-pioneer.html

===============
= Nanode News =
===============

The Nanode Applications Weekend was a great success. Some reports and videos are here:
http://openenergymonitor.blogspot.com/2011/08/nanode-applications-weekend.html
http://sustburbia.blogspot.com/2011/08/nanode-applications-weekend-and-gas.html
http://lanyrd.com/2011/nanode-applications-weekend/video/

The Nanode was also represented at OggCamp, looking forward to hear more about this...
http://oggcamp.org/

Lots of Nanode documentation updates:
http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Project:Nanode/Applications

Andrew Lindsay is working hard on the Nanode software: an updated TCP stack, an updated bootloader, remote code upload, a RESTduino Nanode port, ...
https://github.com/thiseldo/EtherShield
https://github.com/thiseldo/NanodeBootLoader
https://github.com/thiseldo/EtherShield_RESTduino
http://blog.thiseldo.co.uk/?p=620
http://blog.thiseldo.co.uk/?p=599

Stephen Early started working on new uIP network stack, which among other things will support three concurrent TCP connections. Details at:
https://github.com/sde1000/NanodeUIP

Guenther Hoelzl started an IPv6 implementation based on uIP:
http://sites.google.com/site/ghoelzl/ipv6ethershield/ipv6_telnet_server

Bitlash author Bill Roy is now working on a Nanode-specific release with networking support. Bitlash is an interpreted language for Arduino-style microcontrollers:
http://bitlash.net/

Amran Anjum is refining RESTbitlash, a BitLash version with REST interface:
https://github.com/amx109/RESTbitlash

And finally Ken Boak announces that he is starting work on the Nanode 6 with a bigger focus on "chocolatey" user-friendliness... I'm very curious.

Martin Dittus

Aug 25, 2011, 5:47:15 PM8/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
A few additions:
- Usman will also bring Ed Borden of Pachube who works closely with the Pachube developer and user community. This should be fun.
- There's a Nanode video from Oggcamp: http://blip.tv/episode/5492444
- the production of Nanode 5 will continue throughout the Autumn, with 500 new boards signed off in Shenzhen on 25/08/11.
- Ken is starting work on the Nanode Backpack (a new name for a Nanode Shield); and the upcoming Nanode 6 will have a bigger focus on wireless connectivity and plug and play user-friendliness.

Martin Dittus

Sep 1, 2011, 9:28:15 AM9/1/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Reminder: this is tonight!

Come along with any projects you want to show/discuss/debug, especially if you're just starting out and are looking for advice -- there will be lots of people who can help.

The evening will begin around 8pm but people might start showing up sooner.

m.

nick weldin

Sep 1, 2011, 10:11:39 AM9/1/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Is this open to general public, or is it hackspace mebers event?

Nick

--

m: +44 (0) 750 0203821

Nick Weldin Limited.
Company number: 07102306 (England and Wales).  Registered Office: 57 Vale Road London N4 1PP

Ken Boak

Sep 1, 2011, 10:18:23 AM9/1/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
General Public AFAIK

Martin Dittus

Sep 1, 2011, 10:20:22 AM9/1/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Ah yeah -- as always, everybody is welcome. (I don't recall when we last had a members-only event… :)

m.

nick weldin

Sep 1, 2011, 10:26:22 AM9/1/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Cool - wasnt sure so thought best to check rather than just roll up.