Young Hackspace on Sun 22 May: Making Electronic Beats, and the Physics of Sound

Martin Dittus

May 8, 2011, 10:20:37 AM5/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hey all!

As you may know this year we started organising the Young Hackspace, an event where we invite groups of young kids and show them how to make things. Preparation for the next event is in full progress, so I thought we should share the invitation with you guys early before we forward them to local families.

The full invitation is below. This one is going to be very special. I can't believe the incredible quality of contributions we're getting for these events, and we're only starting out...

Get in touch with me if you have kids aged 7-9 and would like to attend!

And let us if you want to help us set up Physics of Sound demos. Out notes are here:
http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Project:Young_Hackspace/YH-3

martind.

------------

For the third Young Hackspace event the London Hackspace would like to invite young children of age 7-9, each with a legal guardian (e.g. a parent.) They will learn how easy it is to make electronic rhythm music, and be able to see exciting demonstrations of the physical aspects of sound.

Children can bring their siblings, if preferred by the attending families; but because of space limitations and out of safety concerns we want to limit the event to a total number of ten attending children. Because interest will be high we ask to only register once you know you can definitely attend. And we ask to arrive on time, so please make sure to check the directions when you plan your trip :)

Date: 22 May 2011, 2pm - 4.30pm
At London Hackspace
Units 23 & 24, Cremer Business Centre
37 Cremer Street
London E2 8HD
http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Laboratory_24/Getting_There

The event is split in two sessions, each about an hour long, with a brief break in between. Attendees will be split in two groups of five children, and alternate each of the two sessions.

Anthony Bowyer-Lowe will teach the kids how easy it is to *Feel The Groove*: We can all clap, we can all dance. Therefore, we can all learn to make rhythmic music. Anthony used to design electronic music instruments for a large music company, has a deep passion for electronic music, the knowledge and wisdom of years of experience, and a keen interest to teach. He will bring a few devices, start with counting and clapping exercises, and build up from there. And everyone gets to play.

Morag Hickman is curating a *Physics of Sound* session which will be executed by a few attending Hackspace members. They will attempt to convey basic aspects of sound, pitch, resonance, and related concepts with a series of exciting demonstrations and in a language appropriate for younger children. Morag is a physicist who most recently explained particle physics using Lego bricks at the Big Bang Science Fair. The full details of this session will be revealed on the day, but here is a sneak preview of a non-Newtonian fluid experiment we tried last Tuesday: http://vimeo.com/23255137

More information:
* http://www.young-hackspace.org.uk
* http://twitter.com/younghackspace
* http://london.hackspace.org.uk