Free monitors

Dave Durant

Jan 20, 2012, 5:29:16 AM1/20/12
to London Hackspace

Hi,

Free kit - same as last time. This time it's 30+ free flatscreen
monitors that might be available. If anyone wants to fill a Hackspace
wall with a multiple monitor project - now's your chance (I suggest
multi-monitor Google Earth run from a bunch of Raspberry Pis, it's
fab!).

Please note that I'd need a response TODAY and that they would have to
be collected Thursday or before next week (they will go in a skip on
Friday if not collected).

If you're interested please email me directly (da...@bowsy.co.uk).

Dave Durant

James Broadhead

Jan 20, 2012, 5:54:43 AM1/20/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I'm interested in picking one up for personal use, and am happy to
help anyone else bringing them to the Hackspace or elsewhere.

James

Jan 20, 2012, 5:59:33 AM1/20/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I defintely want one for an awesome project idea. But will happily
take 3, 2 for home ;p

Kimball Johnson

Jan 20, 2012, 6:00:21 AM1/20/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I would also like one for personal use, but won't be back in London
until the 3rd of Feb. If someone would be find enough to collect and
label one for me, and leave it somewhere (I don't have a box) I would
greatly appreciate it and repay with beer.

Thanks,

Kimball (drrk)

Gavan Fantom

Jan 20, 2012, 6:48:25 AM1/20/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, da...@bowsy.co.uk
On 20/01/2012 10:29, Dave Durant wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Free kit - same as last time. This time it's 30+ free flatscreen
> monitors that might be available. If anyone wants to fill a Hackspace
> wall with a multiple monitor project - now's your chance (I suggest
> multi-monitor Google Earth run from a bunch of Raspberry Pis, it's
> fab!).
>
> Please note that I'd need a response TODAY and that they would have to
> be collected Thursday or before next week (they will go in a skip on
> Friday if not collected).

I could do with 2 or 3 for home use.

I'll be around on Saturday afternoon with a car and am happy to put the
seats down in the and transport as many monitors as will fit if they
still need collecting and other people want them too.

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget

Gavan Fantom

Jan 20, 2012, 6:54:27 AM1/20/12
On 20/01/2012 11:48, Gavan Fantom wrote:
> I'll be around on Saturday afternoon with a car and am happy to put the
> seats down in the and transport as many monitors as will fit if they
> still need collecting and other people want them too.

Clarification: transport *to the space*.

Dave Ingram

Jan 20, 2012, 6:58:00 AM1/20/12
On 20/01/12 10:29, Dave Durant wrote:
> Free kit - same as last time. This time it's 30+ free flatscreen
> monitors that might be available.
Any idea what specs? Either manufacturer/model numbers or even just
approximate size and connector (HDMI, DVI, VGA, ...?)

Jonty Wareing

Jan 20, 2012, 7:26:38 AM1/20/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> I'm interested in picking one up for personal use, and am happy to
> help anyone else bringing them to the Hackspace or elsewhere.

I'd love two or three if somebody could drop them in the space, but if
it's too much hassle don't worry!

Thanks,
Jonty

Sci

Jan 20, 2012, 8:10:45 AM1/20/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Pushing my buttons there. Instinct says "grab", but no I don't need any. ;)

However if anyone DOES want to make a video-wall like that, I do have a
bunch of old PCI dual-head graphics cards, so a 3x3 setup would be
pretty easy with any mainboard with 5 PCI slots.

Sci

Billy

Jan 20, 2012, 8:10:55 AM1/20/12
to London Hackspace

I'd like a couple too.

I can get my mate Charles to drive them if need be...

Dave Durant

Jan 20, 2012, 8:25:49 AM1/20/12
to London Hackspace

Sorry everyone, I completely underestimated the demand from folks that
actually work here for old monitors. I'm told that there's been 80+
requests for the 65 that are available so there's none going spare
this time.

Apologies for getting people's hopes up.

Nin Lil'izi

Jan 20, 2012, 8:32:16 AM1/20/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I really need one.
Am currently living with only use of a netbook. Because I no longer have a working screen for my desktop machine.
I just can't afford to buy one any time soon.
Only cavaet is my kit is HDMI only and I've only ever used it all in 1080p mode... So not sure what would be required to make a non 1080p display work with it.
It's stuff that was bought a few years back when HDMI on comp's was still rather novel and had been driving an HDTV.

Regards,
Nin lil'izi

Skype: Nin-lil-izi
Help me stay fed, order web hosting off me today!
GPG Fingerprint: C510 909B 811E D6F5 0DFF 5D91 CF03 8FEA FD69 4622
signature.asc

Simon Klyne

Feb 2, 2012, 12:02:37 PM2/2/12
to London Hackspace

> > Hi,
>
> > Free kit - same as last time. This time it's 30+ free flatscreen
> > monitors that might be available. If anyone wants to fill a Hackspace
> > wall with a multiple monitor project - now's your chance (I suggest
> > multi-monitor Google Earth run from a bunch of Raspberry Pis, it's
> > fab!).
>
> > Please note that I'd need a response TODAY and that they would have to
> > be collected Thursday or before next week (they will go in a skip on
> > Friday if not collected).
>
> > If you're interested please email me directly (d...@bowsy.co.uk).
>
> > Dave Durant

The deal is back on -
there are yet more monitors coming out of the woodwork as the office
is being cleared out

I would estimate 40+ right now.
They are mainly 19" with some 17" of a few different brands but
significant numbers of some of the brands if anyone wants to try a
video wall ...

My local school in Hackney has bagged some of them but if someone can
provide transport with two dropoffs then the remainder can be recycled
via the space

Simon

(BTW I work in the same office as Dave)

James Broadhead

Feb 2, 2012, 12:17:08 PM2/2/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I'm still interested in 2-3 for private use (assuming that's fair).

I've no transport, but loads of time & am willing to help carry them.

Adrian Godwin

Feb 2, 2012, 12:35:51 PM2/2/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'd like a couple if possible please. In return, I can do transport if
that helps.

-adrian

Billy

Feb 2, 2012, 12:39:27 PM2/2/12
to London Hackspace

when do you need to know by?

When do you want us to pick up?

I can sort out a van, but the more notice i have the easier it is.

ei8...@ei8fdb.org

Feb 2, 2012, 12:43:48 PM2/2/12
to London Hackspace
Hi;

I'd like one (i'd take 17" but if there was bigger I'd love that.)for uni work.

About transport I have big car and can transport to hackspace if its near. I can do during day tomorrow if necessary.

Lemme know.

Bernard

Sent from my HTC

Simon Klyne

Feb 2, 2012, 1:01:55 PM2/2/12
to London Hackspace
The monitors are in Waterloo/Southwark area - so getting across town
will incur the congestion charge

Tomorrow (Friday 3rd Feb) sometime between 11:00-17:00 would be
perfect for me but i can hang around a bit later.

They are currently taking up about 8metres of shelf space so I guess
that a large car (estate car even better) or a small van will be
needed.
They will need something to protect the screens from scratches during
transit so old blankets or cardboard taped over the front etc etc

If you want my phone number to coordinate this then email me for it -
(google has truncated the email address "Simon Klyne
<skl...@gmail.com>" to stop robots but I am sure a human can figure
out what to replace the "..." with )

Simon

Toby Catlin

Feb 2, 2012, 1:12:35 PM2/2/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> The monitors are in Waterloo/Southwark area - so getting across town will incur the congestion charge

Not if we had that milk float

Adrian Godwin

Feb 2, 2012, 1:18:26 PM2/2/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I could do that about 14:00 unless it's easier for Bernard (I have a
fairly long drive, but that's fine if it works out best).

-adrian

Feb 2, 2012, 3:08:30 PM2/2/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
me would like two of the same please. will buy beers :)

--

++++++++++[>+>+++>++
+++++>++++++++++<<<<
-]>>>+++++++.>++++++
+++++.+++..---------
.++++++++++.<<+++.<.

Sci

Feb 2, 2012, 5:41:09 PM2/2/12
On 02/02/2012 18:12, Toby Catlin wrote:
>> The monitors are in Waterloo/Southwark area - so getting across
> town will incur the congestion charge
>
> Not if we had that milk float

Got my ebay saved-searches keeping an eye out for a roadworthy one. ;P

~ Sci

Simon Klyne

Feb 2, 2012, 6:47:59 PM2/2/12
to London Hackspace
OK,

So Bernard will be driving over late tomorrow morning to collect a car
load of these monitors which we guess will be maybe 30 of them.

Now, Question - is this going to be acceptable to drop them off in
Hackspace? or will that be too many to clutter up the place? Is
there enough interest that they would be grabbed quickly enough to de-
clutter quickly?

Answers by about 11:00 tomorrow please

Feb 2, 2012, 6:49:38 PM2/2/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I seem to recall quite a lot of interest. So I imagine a short spell
at hackspace is fine. Ill collect mine, if they are allocated in the
evening.

Martin Klang

Feb 2, 2012, 8:16:58 PM2/2/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

if there is a surplus then I can take 5-10 of them upstairs for various good purposes.
Know at least two or three community groups / projects needing monitors.

btw is there a suggested donation to the hackspace in return?
I don't know what these things eBay for, but £10 seems not unreasonable?

/m

Billy

Feb 2, 2012, 9:41:56 PM2/2/12
to London Hackspace

I'd like one. What time will you be heading there? What help is
needed?

Dave Ingram

Feb 3, 2012, 3:08:59 AM2/3/12
On 02/02/12 17:02, Simon Klyne wrote:
> The deal is back on - there are yet more monitors coming out of the
> woodwork as the office is being cleared out I would estimate 40+ right
> now. They are mainly 19" with some 17" of a few different brands but
> significant numbers of some of the brands if anyone wants to try a
> video wall ... My local school in Hackney has bagged some of them but
> if someone can provide transport with two dropoffs then the remainder
> can be recycled via the space Simon (BTW I work in the same office as
> Dave)
I'd be interested in at least two 19"

Bernard Tyers

Feb 3, 2012, 3:39:30 AM2/3/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Billy

Feb 3, 2012, 4:07:11 AM2/3/12
to London Hackspace

No problem. I'll be back at the space by 10am

My number is 07904-591693.
> Comment: GPGTools -http://gpgtools.org

Sci

Feb 3, 2012, 4:50:01 AM2/3/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I still say, 3x3 wall of screens. All we need is a motherboard with 5
PCI slots.
..oh, and a B&W video of Jonty giving a speech about the wonders of the
Hackspace on endless loop.
Just keep ladies with sledgehammers away from it.

Simon Klyne

Feb 3, 2012, 5:54:26 AM2/3/12
to London Hackspace

I now have a favour to ask.

There are about 60-70 monitors in total that are surplus and my local
school in Hackney wants about 25 of them.
But unfortunately the date for them to get them out of the building in
Waterloo has been moved forward to next tuesday but they cannot make
arrangements for that date.
So, can anyone help in clearing them out please by next tuesday (7th
Feb) and either delivering to the school or holding them for a very
short while in the space.

Adrian Godwin

Feb 3, 2012, 6:00:46 AM2/3/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
If Bernard can't deal with them all today, I could make a trip monday
or tuesday. I don't think I'd have a problem moving 25.

-adrian

Bernard Tyers

Feb 3, 2012, 6:02:17 AM2/3/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Nin Lil'izi

Feb 3, 2012, 8:09:41 AM2/3/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Can I take one pweasssse?
I currently don't have a screen at all. And just happen to be stopping by the space later.

Regards,
Nin lil'izi

Skype: Nin-lil-izi
Help me stay fed, order web hosting off me today!
GPG Fingerprint: C510 909B 811E D6F5 0DFF 5D91 CF03 8FEA FD69 4622

ei8...@ei8fdb.org

Feb 3, 2012, 8:26:01 AM2/3/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I come bearing monitors right now.

I'll be in the space in about 30-40 mins, so get um while their hot.

Nin Lil'izi

Feb 3, 2012, 8:42:45 AM2/3/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. Am a 2 hour journey from the space so will be in later.
Do you have anything specifically wide screen xor with dvi/hdmi inputs?
If you do and can hang onto it till I arrive I will love you forever.... Or promise to never love you... Most people wish the later of me ^^
I just ask... As I've been making do with just a netbook for the last 6 months.
Even though I have a quad phenom beast gathering dust... Just because I lost my screen and could not afford to replace ever since then.

Regards,
Nin lil'izi

Skype: Nin-lil-izi
Help me stay fed, order web hosting off me today!
GPG Fingerprint: C510 909B 811E D6F5 0DFF 5D91 CF03 8FEA FD69 4622

Nin Lil'izi

Feb 3, 2012, 8:43:46 AM2/3/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Ah shoot!
Meant to send that last mail directly... Not to the list.

Sorry!

Regards,
Nin lil'izi

Skype: Nin-lil-izi
Help me stay fed, order web hosting off me today!
GPG Fingerprint: C510 909B 811E D6F5 0DFF 5D91 CF03 8FEA FD69 4622

Ten Yen

Feb 3, 2012, 10:07:07 AM2/3/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Heya,

going to process the monitors. Billys labelled one for everyone
who claimed one, and two for dave. I'm going to briefly test
them and clear them away (bagsied ones first going under the black
table (?) rest by the three week system to encourage takers?

I'm on irc (probablt not on the channel, too distracting) if you want to get my attention via a /msg.

werd,

--
http://tenyen.net/

Dave Ingram

Feb 3, 2012, 10:24:56 AM2/3/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, thanks! I'll be by to pick mine up on Wednesday, if not
Monday/Tuesday.

Nin Lil'izi

Feb 3, 2012, 10:28:42 AM2/3/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
K. I'm on the train into Waterloo right now.
Thank you bringer of tech. You've made my month :D

Regards,
Nin lil'izi

Skype: Nin-lil-izi
Help me stay fed, order a certain and enevitable demise off me today!

GPG Fingerprint: C510 909B 811E D6F5 0DFF 5D91 CF03 8FEA FD69 4622

On 03/02/12 15:07, Ten Yen wrote:
signature.asc

Bernard Tyers

Feb 3, 2012, 11:21:39 AM2/3/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Ten Yen

Feb 3, 2012, 12:22:09 PM2/3/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Heya,

monitor redux here:
https://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/submit/Donations/2012/VGA-Feb

will clean up in a mo . . .

also simultaneous conversation going on irc. . .

werd,

--
http://tenyen.net/

Sci

Feb 3, 2012, 2:13:17 PM2/3/12
On 03/02/2012 16:21, Bernard Tyers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Ok, so monitors have been put aside for everyone who asked for one. There's a post-it on them with peoples names so enjoy.
>
> There are a number left over, and after whatever have been used by the space etc, those who wanted more are welcome to fight over them. Tickets for spectators are �5. Lots of blood please!
>
> Some don't have PSUs, which should be a real problem. They require 19V 3.6A DC. A quick ebay should come up with good PSUs.

Or even the 3-week bin. 19v is pretty common for laptop power adaptors,
and often within that power range.

Will see what's left tomorrow evening, might be interested in one. Might.

Sci

Simon Klyne

Feb 3, 2012, 5:19:11 PM2/3/12
to London Hackspace
So Bernard has offered to help with another car load of monitors for
my local school if he can find the time on Monday, but I would like to
plan a contigency in case he can't make it.
Does anyone else have suitable transport for batch of monitors - the
school wants maybe 20 of them and I had put aside soem 19" HP monitors
(with integral power) for them.
While clearing through the building today after Bernard had left I
found some more of these HP monitors so maybe if someone wants a
slightly better monitor they could offer up some time and transport to
assist on monday or tuesday afternoon?

Simon

James Broadhead

Feb 3, 2012, 5:22:58 PM2/3/12
On 3 February 2012 22:19, Simon Klyne <skl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So Bernard has offered to help with another car load of monitors for
> my local school if he can find the time on Monday, but I would like to
> plan a contigency in case he can't make it.
> Does anyone else have suitable transport for batch of monitors - the
> school wants maybe 20 of them and I had put aside soem 19" HP monitors
> (with integral power) for them.
> While clearing through the building today after Bernard had left I
> found some more of these HP monitors so maybe if someone wants a
> slightly better monitor they could offer up some time and transport to
> assist on monday or tuesday afternoon?

I think that the main point is the [un]availability of the
power-supplies - I'm not sure if they were missing or if they just
didn't make it into the transport, but if it's the latter, that would
make our existing supply much more useful.

I'm available on Monday afternoon, but have no transport - if that's
of any use, email me directly.

Adrian Godwin

Feb 3, 2012, 5:54:32 PM2/3/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm still willing to do a car run, preferably on Tuesday.

-adrian

Bernard Tyers

Feb 3, 2012, 6:48:39 PM2/3/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Billy

Feb 4, 2012, 12:08:22 AM2/4/12
to London Hackspace

I'll chase another option for the transport as well, in case we need
it.
> Comment: GPGTools -http://gpgtools.org

Billy

Feb 4, 2012, 1:02:30 PM2/4/12
to London Hackspace

The van driver i know is busy this week. Sorry.

If i think of anyone else, i'll shout here.

Adrian Godwin

Feb 4, 2012, 1:15:39 PM2/4/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Don't worry. I decided not to come in today because I'll be there
Tuesday. Barring disasters, I'm OK.

It might be useful to have a passenger to help carry stuff, especially
if I'm taking things to the school rather than hackspace. I can be
fairly flexible on timing, if someone can tell me where to go / who to
see.

-adrian

Billy

Feb 4, 2012, 2:11:52 PM2/4/12
to London Hackspace

I can help with the fetch'n'carry/navigating.

Which direction are you traveling from? Where's best to meet? And what
time does Simon need us there?

Adrian Godwin

Feb 4, 2012, 4:29:47 PM2/4/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm coming in the A1 or A10, so it's probably easiest to pick you up
at hackspace. I'll be going back there afterwards too.

-adrian

Billy

Feb 5, 2012, 3:03:33 AM2/5/12
to London Hackspace

Cool.

When Simon lets us know what time we have to pick up from his office,
and what time we4 have to drop off at the school in Hackney, then
we're set.

Enjoy the snow... :D

Feb 5, 2012, 3:55:38 AM2/5/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
ergh @ snow.. I'm heading to work shortly, dreading the cold, horrible snow :(

--

++++++++++[>+>+++>++
+++++>++++++++++<<<<
-]>>>+++++++.>++++++
+++++.+++..---------
.++++++++++.<<+++.<.

Simon Klyne

Feb 6, 2012, 4:59:01 AM2/6/12
to London Hackspace
OK, I am in the office in Waterloo all day today (Monday) and Tuesday
afternoon.

Can those offering transport please let me know what time(s) you can
be over in Southwark

Adrian Godwin

Feb 6, 2012, 5:28:35 AM2/6/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Tuesday afternoon is fine for me. What's the earliest time that suits you ?

-adrian

-adrian

Simon Klyne

Feb 6, 2012, 5:31:46 AM2/6/12
to London Hackspace

On Feb 6, 10:28 am, Adrian Godwin <artgod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tuesday afternoon is fine for me. What's the earliest time that suits you ?

1pm - although I maybe a bit late because I will be at another office
for the morning,
and then unfortunately I have a meeting between 2pm - 4pm but if you
come for 4pm then you won't get away until the rush hour kicks in :-(

Simon Klyne

Feb 6, 2012, 5:34:05 AM2/6/12
to London Hackspace

I have confirmation from the School that they only want 15 of the
monitors - this means that there are now another 10-20 HP monitors
with integral power that are available for the space - there maybe
more once I do another sweep of the building.

I will also try to find some of the external power supplies for the
other monitors to make them more useful

Adrian Godwin

Feb 6, 2012, 8:09:11 AM2/6/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'll aim to pick up Billy (or someone else if he's not available) at
the hackspace around 12:30.

-adrian

Simon Klyne

Feb 6, 2012, 8:13:19 AM2/6/12
to London Hackspace
I had a quick trawl through the spaghetti heap of cables and came up
with half a dozen 19v 3.1A power supplies as well as some others that
look useful.
There are also a number of laptop power supplies at that voltage so
maybe just a switch of connector would work for those.

I have put them in a box for the tuesday collection.

On Feb 3, 11:48 pm, Bernard Tyers <ei8...@ei8fdb.org> wrote:
> Comment: GPGTools -http://gpgtools.org

Billy

Feb 6, 2012, 9:51:35 AM2/6/12
to London Hackspace

I'll be at the hackspace well before 12noon, for a 12.30pm pick-up.

George Buckenham

Feb 6, 2012, 10:54:35 AM2/6/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
If there are monitors going spare, I'd be glad of one. I can't come by and collect it before Wednesday, so if someone could mark one as mine that'd be much appreciated. If they're gone, that's okay (can't quite follow the thread).

--G

Simon Klyne

Feb 6, 2012, 11:18:02 AM2/6/12
to London Hackspace

I trawled through the building today and I estimatge about 40 HP
monitors with 240v power i