Hackspace Job Board was Re: [london-hack-space] Anyone want to be a cleaner

phil jones

Nov 16, 2011, 6:39:45 AM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
There might be a bigger, more interesting question here. I'm sure the
hackspace is full of talented, technical people who may still be
finding it difficult to get work in the recession.

Is there something that can be done about this? Do we need a hackspace
job-board? A wiki page where members looking for work can post their
skills and availability?

phil

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Paddy <pad...@padski.co.uk> wrote:
> Your email was a job offer which I accepted and you confirmed.
> I am a network/electronics engineer unable to find suitable work and do not
> take a cleaning job lightly. I'm sure Nin feels the same. Not at all funny.
> Paddy

Anish

Nov 16, 2011, 6:50:39 AM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
>Is there something that can be done about >this? Do we need a hackspace
>job-board? A wiki page where members >looking for work can post their
>skills and availability?

Sounds like a great idea :)

Darren McDonald

Nov 16, 2011, 7:12:44 AM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

How about the other way around? People with open positions can post jobs here.

http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/JobBoard

James Heaver

Nov 16, 2011, 7:19:36 AM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
A bit of both - I am often after an Adobe Illustrator monkey for the
odd day's freelance work here and there. It would be useful to be able
to look down a list and contact people who might be interested.

Anish Mohammed

Nov 16, 2011, 7:26:22 AM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, london-h...@googlegroups.com
:) anything that works :)

Anish Mohammed
Twitter: anishmohammed
http://uk.linkedin.com/in/anishmohammed

Darren McDonald

Nov 16, 2011, 7:25:29 AM11/16/11
On 16 November 2011 12:26, Anish Mohammed <anish.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> :) anything that works :)

Split it up into sections for potential employers and employees.

Avishalom Shalit

Nov 16, 2011, 7:27:45 AM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
there's an opening in my group for someone who is skilled in data hacking.
the position is "research associate/ algorithm developer"
https://careers-upstream.icims.com/jobs/1209/job

ask me about it.

p.s. though the website i just linked to is not to my liking, a
skilled individual may find an IT support position there as well.

-- vish

phil jones

Nov 16, 2011, 7:28:19 AM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I agree with James. Both.

I'm thinking that a jobs board doesn't have to be offers of full time
work from a company, but short term projects / contracts. Eg. I need a
website. I need someone to build a 3D printer. I need someone to give
me a day of personal tuition on BLAH protocol. Etc.

phil

Philip Norman

Nov 16, 2011, 7:35:08 AM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I think that's a good idea. It would also be nice to be able to post
available positions; my employers are hiring developers at the moment
but I don't want to spam the list so I haven't shared them here.

Phil

phil jones

Nov 16, 2011, 7:36:52 AM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Everyone with a position. Go and add it to the wiki-page, now! :-)

And anyone looking for work, add yourself too. No reason this
community can't make this happen.

phil

Darren McDonald

Nov 16, 2011, 7:39:52 AM11/16/11
On 16 November 2011 12:35, Philip Norman <ph...@propter.co.uk> wrote:
> I think that's a good idea.  It would also be nice to be able to post
> available positions; my employers are hiring developers at the moment but I
> don't want to spam the list so I haven't shared them here.
>
> Phil

Yep, add it here http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/JobBoard

Will Green

Nov 16, 2011, 7:57:51 AM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Minor suggestion, but can people please add the date to any entry they
add. That makes it easy to clear out old adverts.

Adrian Godwin

Nov 16, 2011, 7:59:34 AM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Direct jobs only ? Recruiters are fair enough if they're offering real
jobs but so many are just filling their waiting lists. Simplest just
to say no agencies from the start.

Adrian Godwin

Nov 16, 2011, 8:01:05 AM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Use the mediawiki signing thing - date and contact in one go.

Anish

Nov 16, 2011, 8:01:55 AM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
>Direct jobs only ? Recruiters are fair >enough if they're offering real
>jobs but so many are just filling their >waiting lists. Simplest just
>to say no agencies from the start.
I agree, agencies waste everyone's time

James Heaver

Nov 16, 2011, 8:02:33 AM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I think having it on a wiki would rule out all recruiters I know on
technical grounds alone.

phil jones

Nov 16, 2011, 8:26:59 AM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Agreed. No recruiters. And with James, wiki is probably a good test to
stump recruiters and add ensure a level of geek competence.

Spambots, OTOH, I'm not sure about ... are we proof?

phil

Callum Finlayson

Nov 16, 2011, 8:41:06 AM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Currently the page has two sections - "employers" and "available for
contracting"; I'd suggest these be split into different pages, and
also either an "actively looking for not-necessarily-contracting" (may
not be the best title) page/section be added or "available for
contracting" be broadened as it's a bit restrictive.

Geekinesis

Nov 16, 2011, 9:58:49 AM11/16/11
to London Hackspace
What about a skill exchange/swap page as well. Eg. Sometimes I need
help with coding for websites. which I would exchange for my graphic
design and Photoshop skills.

phil jones

Nov 16, 2011, 10:13:00 AM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Sure, feel free to add / modify the wiki page until it has the
categories that we need.

phil

Philip Norman

Nov 16, 2011, 10:32:58 AM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
That's a great idea. Shall we have a separate page for that? It's a bit
different from ordinary recruitment.

Phil

Darren McDonald

Nov 16, 2011, 11:26:34 AM11/16/11
On 16 November 2011 15:32, Philip Norman <ph...@propter.co.uk> wrote:
> That's a great idea. Shall we have a separate page for that? It's a bit
> different from ordinary recruitment.
>
> Phil

Why ask, when you can just do?

http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/SkillSwap

Philip Norman

Nov 16, 2011, 11:36:56 AM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Communication prevents duplication.

Darren McDonald

Nov 16, 2011, 11:38:06 AM11/16/11
On 16 November 2011 16:36, Philip Norman <ph...@propter.co.uk> wrote:
> Communication prevents duplication.

In this case no resources would be wasted and the effort involved is minimal.

Philip Clevberger

Nov 16, 2011, 11:40:03 AM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Less talking more sex… Duplication
More talking less sex… More resources on the planet to share

phil jones

Nov 16, 2011, 1:23:44 PM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
OK. The Job Board page is filling up nicely. But I've broken out the
Available for Contracting to a separate page so it doesn't get lost

http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/AvailableForContracting