Notice of Disposals on things #2

tgreer

Mar 26, 2014, 12:08:31 PM3/26/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi

More things with notice of disposals. Again these are in the same area at the front edge of the etching area.

20) Empty black wheely suitcase.

21) Box full of old dead stripped laptops which someone dumped.

22) Battery with the name Dean on it, no contact details.

Again these have 3 weeks on them to be dealt with or they go.

Regards

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Mar 26, 2014, 12:29:20 PM3/26/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Ooh, those laptops were there on saturday. Figured they were the space's
laptops just being moved around in the tidying.

If they're actual junk, I'll take them.

Nigel Worsley

Mar 26, 2014, 12:51:08 PM3/26/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> Ooh, those laptops were there on saturday. Figured they were the space's
> laptops just being moved around in the tidying.
> If they're actual junk, I'll take them.

They are old enough to have parallel ports, they must be junk!

Nigle

Tim Reynolds

Mar 26, 2014, 12:50:31 PM3/26/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Please take them ASAP. Good job!

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Mar 26, 2014, 1:23:47 PM3/26/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Good sources of tiny screws, fans and heatsinks. Also tiny motors if the
optical drives are intact.

wyan std

Mar 26, 2014, 1:24:35 PM3/26/14
to london-hack-space
The laptops were put on the three week pile last week, so they should be on the two week pile now.

On 26/03/2014 16:08, tgreer wrote:
Hi

More things with notice of disposals. Again these are in the same area
at the front edge of the etching area.

20) Empty black wheely suitcase.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eeldw7p31soy2ra/2014-03-25%2018.33.59.jpg

21) Box full of old dead stripped laptops which someone dumped.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8osvw9pexspvrog/2014-03-25%2018.33.48.jpg

22) Battery with the name Dean on it, no contact details.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b0n0c83qatfxg1o/2014-03-25%2014.44.31.jpg

Again these have 3 weeks on them to be dealt with or they go.

Regards

Tim Reynolds

Mar 26, 2014, 1:25:27 PM3/26/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Ah, yesterday they were chilling out on the floor by the end of the
white ikea shelves. I suspect someone pulled them out to look at them
and never bothered to return them.

On 26/03/2014 17:24, wyan std wrote:
> The laptops were put on the three week pile last week, so they should be
> on the two week pile now.
>

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 4:50 PM, Tim Reynolds <t...@christwithfries.net
> <mailto:t...@christwithfries.net>> wrote:
>
> Please take them ASAP. Good job!
>

> On 26/03/2014 16:29, Peter "Sci" Turpin wrote:
>
> Ooh, those laptops were there on saturday. Figured they were the
> space's
> laptops just being moved around in the tidying.
>
> If they're actual junk, I'll take them.
>
> On 26/03/2014 16:08, tgreer wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> More things with notice of disposals. Again these are in the
> same area
> at the front edge of the etching area.
>
> 20) Empty black wheely suitcase.
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/__eeldw7p31soy2ra/2014-03-25%__2018.33.59.jpg
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/eeldw7p31soy2ra/2014-03-25%2018.33.59.jpg>
>
> 21) Box full of old dead stripped laptops which someone dumped.
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/__8osvw9pexspvrog/2014-03-25%__2018.33.48.jpg
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/8osvw9pexspvrog/2014-03-25%2018.33.48.jpg>
>
> 22) Battery with the name Dean on it, no contact details.
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/__b0n0c83qatfxg1o/2014-03-25%__2014.44.31.jpg
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/b0n0c83qatfxg1o/2014-03-25%2014.44.31.jpg>
>
> Again these have 3 weeks on them to be dealt with or they go.
>
> Regards
>
> --
>

> --

tgreer

Tom Sands

Mar 26, 2014, 1:32:43 PM3/26/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The laptops are e-waste and shouldn't be in the 3week bin to begin with, thats not what the 3week bin is for.
They should be put in the skip.

By all means whoever wants them please remove them from the space poste haste

[...]

wyan std

Mar 26, 2014, 1:35:09 PM3/26/14
to london-hack-space
I guess whoever brought them though they could extract some useful parts from them...

Mr Ed

Mar 26, 2014, 1:46:59 PM3/26/14

On Wednesday, 26 March 2014 17:32:43 UTC, Tom Sands wrote:
The laptops are e-waste and shouldn't be in the 3week bin to begin with, thats not what the 3week bin is for.
They should be put in the skip.

What is the 3 week bin for? I'm not being facetious, I'm genuinely curious why these can't go in the bin for stripping. The bin often has electronic stuff in it.

-Ed

Mark Steward

Mar 26, 2014, 1:50:54 PM3/26/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
It's our only way to get rid of stuff that appears to have been abandoned on the tables, floor, etc. Sure, people can put small stuff in there if it's not already overflowing, but the intent is to use it as grace period for throwing stuff out. That's why you need to be careful when taking stuff out of it, as someone may have left it out by accident.

Maybe we need a wiki page on this.

Mark

tgreer

Mar 26, 2014, 1:53:20 PM3/26/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Because they're bigger than the 3 week bins, they'd fill up a bin and a half on their own. That's why.

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Mar 26, 2014, 2:05:13 PM3/26/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Would collecting them on Saturday be okay? I'm liable to be woozy from
blood-tests for the next couple of days.

Peter "Sci" Turpin

Mar 29, 2014, 6:42:26 PM3/29/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Removed, and about half way through dismantled already.

Related; to whoever it was who brought them in for disposal, it appears
you left a CD in one of the drives. The filenames on it's zipped
contents suggest it contains confidential information.

Tom Hodder

Mar 29, 2014, 8:29:24 PM3/29/14
On 26 March 2014 17:32, Tom Sands <itst...@gmail.com> wrote:
The laptops are e-waste and shouldn't be in the 3week bin to begin with, thats not what the 3week bin is for.
They should be put in the skip.

By all means whoever wants them please remove them from the space poste haste

I'm researching whether this organization are able to provide an on-going electrical item recycling collection for free;

From fridges to hairdryers, printers to PCs… just contact us to arrange a collection time for your old electrical items. We’ll collect directly from your business premises and then reuse or recycle your electrical items back into raw materials at our Authorised Treatment Facility in Kent.

It seems a bit too good to be true, but it seems to be a Boris scheme;

"Why is the Mayor of London/Recycle for London supporting this programme?

This service not only provides a free service to businesses, it also meets two Recycle for London programme objectives:

- Increase London’s municipal recycling rate year on year.
- Reduce the volume of specific material to landfill/incinerators such as batteries, WEEE, and furniture/other reusable products, to generate maximum social and economic value. "

Jasper Wallace

Mar 29, 2014, 11:47:28 PM3/29/14
On Sat, 29 Mar 2014, Peter "Sci" Turpin wrote:

> Removed, and about half way through dismantled already.
>
> Related; to whoever it was who brought them in for disposal, it appears you
> left a CD in one of the drives. The filenames on it's zipped contents suggest
> it contains confidential information.

Apperently those laptops were found on the street outside the computer
repair place down the road, someone bought them into the hackspace cos
they "might be useful", I'm glad you where able to make use of them.

If the data contains personal data from multiple people (e.g. if it's a
database dump) you might consider reporting it to the ICO:

http://ico.org.uk/
--
[http://pointless.net/] [0x2ECA0975]

oLja Levistova

Apr 1, 2014, 6:25:28 AM4/1/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone!

It was me who found those laptops and brought them to hackspace for the reason mentioned above: "might be useul for hackspace" PLUS thinking to actually use them myself if no one touches...for my "hardware jewellery project" that i'm trying to run/accomplish past month..but  due to being busy with moving and new job just couldnt find time to organize them...

if there are still around i'd take keypad keys and some circuits / cd/floppy drives from them ;)

ps: i removed my suitcase [with lots of dead circuit boards etc] from disposal area : named "levistova" ;)

Cheeers,

Olya

oLja Levistova

Apr 1, 2014, 6:35:46 AM4/1/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
ALSO IF you hear from anyone who is dumping electronics that might be useful for my art project pls let me know?  see here: http://www.coroflot.com/levistova/DIY-Thrash-Art

ps: if you know websites/places / markets / people where i can get btoken electronics parts/floppy disks/computer keys let me know as well!

pps: i'll make sure i follow hackspace rules more from now ! ;)

Thanks very  much!

Tim Reynolds

Apr 1, 2014, 6:42:51 AM4/1/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks oLja!

Tom Hodder

Apr 1, 2014, 9:05:44 AM4/1/14
On 1 April 2014 11:25, oLja Levistova <levi...@gmail.com> wrote:

if there are still around i'd take keypad keys and some circuits / cd/floppy drives from them ;)

I've got 3 HP nc6000 carcasses with dead motherboards, but I presume the keyboards are fine.

Inline images 1

Inline images 2

Let me know if you want them and ill leave them in my member box.

(clearly we have to arrange some secret handover, for Health & Safety reasons, lest we risk someone on the list having an apoplectic fit due to unattended electronics in the space ;-)

Dave Mansfield

Apr 1, 2014, 9:26:25 AM4/1/14
On Tuesday, 1 April 2014 14:05:44 UTC+1, Tom Hodder wrote:
Let me know if you want them and ill leave them in my member box.

(clearly we have to arrange some secret handover, for Health & Safety reasons, lest we risk someone on the list having an apoplectic fit due to unattended electronics in the space ;-)

Silly comment is silly.

Arrange a handover as opposed to what? Leaving them in the middle of a work table, and hoping no-one hacks them, or the recipient changes their mind leaving a pile of abandons keyboards laying around for months?

Tom Hodder

Apr 1, 2014, 9:38:59 AM4/1/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
As opposed to anything that might provoke hostile micromanaging remarks at the notion that something might enter the vicinity of the hackspace without being labelled, assigned, stamped and processed into some particular scheme, or system, several forms filled in, and approval in triplicate granted by the mailing list (assuming you are not a minimum subscription paying member, then you must get the form filled and approved in quadruplicate, and you are only allowed to have half a members box)

On the subject of disposing of electrical recycling, the people at "123 recycle for free" have offered to do a collection; (I wasn't expecting them to give a data right away, as I'd asked about regular collections, but it might be something to work towards, if there was enough electrical junk to be recycled by 29th April)

Subject: FW: Collection request from the 123 Recycle for Free website

Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 09:28:30 +0100
From: "Helen Evans" <Helen...@sweeep.co.uk>
To: <t...@limepepper.co.uk>

Thank you for your email request for a collection of electrical items.
The first available date for the collection will be the  29th April
which I have booked for you. Please advise this is ok.
The items given at the time of booking will be the items collected on
this day. Any other items will need to be booked for a subsequent
collection on another date.

Can you please answer the following information to complete the booking:

*         Your Job Title:
*         What your business does:
*         Can we park outside for the collection, if not, do you have a
*        What time is someone on site in the mornings:
*         Area Council Authority:
           How many computers and what other parts please

Regards
Helen

Apr 1, 2014, 9:53:35 AM4/1/14

On Tuesday, 1 April 2014 14:38:59 UTC+1, Tom Hodder wrote:

As opposed to anything that might provoke hostile micromanaging remarks at the notion that something might enter the vicinity of the hackspace without being labelled, assigned, stamped and processed into some particular scheme,

As one of the hostile micromanagers (I've made one of the disposal notice emails), I think this is more than a little harsh. The space has been slowly clogging up with utter crap. If we don't do anything it will completely overflow with utter crap. The laissez-faire approach simply didn't end up working well enough.

-Ed

Mark Steward

Apr 1, 2014, 10:08:29 AM4/1/14
On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 2:53 PM, Mr Ed <edward...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tuesday, 1 April 2014 14:38:59 UTC+1, Tom Hodder wrote:

As opposed to anything that might provoke hostile micromanaging remarks at the notion that something might enter the vicinity of the hackspace without being labelled, assigned, stamped and processed into some particular scheme,

As one of the hostile micromanagers (I've made one of the disposal notice emails), I think this is more than a little harsh. The space has been slowly clogging up with utter crap. If we don't do anything it will completely overflow with utter crap. The laissez-faire approach simply didn't end up working well enough.

Not to mention that the "micromanaging" of labelling items for disposal is mandated by the risk in a large community of causing offence by chucking stuff out.

It's hard to ensure that over 900 people are on the same page. Please don't assume bad faith or caricature people who are trying to sort stuff out.

Mark

Tom Hodder

Apr 1, 2014, 10:08:33 AM4/1/14
On 1 April 2014 14:53, Mr Ed <edward...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tuesday, 1 April 2014 14:38:59 UTC+1, Tom Hodder wrote:

As opposed to anything that might provoke hostile micromanaging remarks at the notion that something might enter the vicinity of the hackspace without being labelled, assigned, stamped and processed into some particular scheme,

As one of the hostile micromanagers (I've made one of the disposal notice emails), I think this is more than a little harsh. The space has been slowly clogging up with utter crap. If we don't do anything it will completely overflow with utter crap. The laissez-faire approach simply didn't end up working well enough.

Well below is a bin. 123recycleforfree will come and collect the contents on the 29th/April.

Thank you for your email request for a collection of electrical items.
The first available date for the collection will be the  29th April
which I have booked for you. Please advise this is ok.
The items given at the time of booking will be the items collected on
this day. Any other items will need to be booked for a subsequent
collection on another date.

if we fill it with the electrical crap, they will be removed.

Inline images 1

It's currently in my garden, and unused, so I can hose it down and make it available for the recycling collection.

Tom Hodder

Apr 1, 2014, 10:35:10 AM4/1/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Firstly, I think the hackspace is improving all the time, I think the mess is improving, and I am very grateful for the work put in by Mark and Ed and Heather to decrease the crap-load of the space. Thanks!

However I reserve the right to critique the process. This is not a all or nothing, with us or against us thing. There can be ongoing improvement to the process and feedback.

On 1 April 2014 15:08, Mark Steward <marks...@gmail.com> wrote:

It's hard to ensure that over 900 people are on the same page.

Without some form of oppressive enforcement of rules, it is impossible to get 900 people, particularly hackspacers, on the same page. Therefore your efforts to "ensure that over 900 people are on the same page" are necessarily doomed to failure and resentment. (clearly you are aware of this from your comments on the tidying wiki page - "I agree that there's a risk of generating resentment when creating a guide, because we're ...")

Please don't assume bad faith or caricature people who are trying to sort stuff out.

I am not assuming bad faith. However I think you seem to have determined to take a path that is going to cause resentment, that there should be discussion on the list. (..." and that's why I've asked for discussion on the list." ms7821)

Hence, I am just giving the other side of the coin.

I am not saying that "You are a hostile Micromanager" hence you bad, I am saying that to some, these actions feel like hostile micromanagement.

* It seems a bit defensive for a little bit of harmless satire (on April fools day ffs..)

Mr Ed

Apr 1, 2014, 10:55:40 AM4/1/14

On Tuesday, 1 April 2014 15:35:10 UTC+1, Tom Hodder wrote:

However I reserve the right to critique the process. This is not a all or nothing, with us or against us thing. There can be ongoing improvement to the process and feedback.

I agree. Such things should always be open for discussion. Though it went round in circles and ground to a halt until tgreer started posting "Notice of Disposal" on things which actually got it going.

I am not saying that "You are a hostile Micromanager" hence you bad, I am saying that to some, these actions feel like hostile micromanagement.

True but I think with 900 people it's impossible to have any system that doesn't cause resentment. If there are rules someone will always resent them. If there are no rules, many people will resent the anarchy.

* It seems a bit defensive for a little bit of harmless satire (on April fools day ffs..)

I'm going cold turkey on coffee right now, so don't take anything from me personally.

-Ed

Mark Steward

Apr 1, 2014, 11:08:57 AM4/1/14
On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 3:35 PM, Tom Hodder <t...@limepepper.co.uk> wrote:
[...]

I meant that to clarify that I'm aware there may be resentment by people who have a different assumptions, and I'm willing to put in the effort to clear that up, not that I've been given a choice between resentment and blissful co-operation.

Hence, I am just giving the other side of the coin.

No problem - however, I don't think insinuating anyone has had an "apoplectic fit", inventing approval in quadruplicate, or conflating it with discussion of subscription fees is helpful.

I am not saying that "You are a hostile Micromanager" hence you bad, I am saying that to some, these actions feel like hostile micromanagement.

* It seems a bit defensive for a little bit of harmless satire (on April fools day ffs..)

To be honest, I find April Fools day pretty tiresome (apart from the Pokemon easter egg). Apologies if that comes through in my emails.

Mark

tgreer

Apr 1, 2014, 11:36:30 AM4/1/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Can you take this elsewhere and keep this thread relevant. Thanks

Jasper Wallace

Apr 1, 2014, 12:19:17 PM4/1/14
to london-hack-space
On Tue, 1 Apr 2014, Tom Hodder wrote:

> Well below is a bin. 123recycleforfree will come and collect the contents on the 29th/April.
>
> Thank you for your email request for a collection of electrical items.
> The first available date for the collection will be the  29th April
> which I have booked for you. Please advise this is ok.
> The items given at the time of booking will be the items collected on
> this day. Any other items will need to be booked for a subsequent
> collection on another date.
>

> if we fill it with the electrical crap, they will be removed.
>
> Inline images 1
>
> It's currently in my garden, and unused, so I can hose it down and make it available for the recycling
> collection.

Firstly: thanks for organising this!

Secondly, the bin isn't going to be big enough :P

We've got 2x fibre channel disk shelves downstairs that will mostly fill
it, and old 1U server that will almost certainly not be claimed by it's
owner and if we open this up for members to bring there junk from home as
well then i've got a large cardboard box of stuff. (The Tower Hamlets
e-waste site is in the arse end of the Isle of Dogs, and without a car it
would be hard to get the stuff there).

If you can find a larger container, or ask the 123recycleforfree people if
they have a larger one that would be great.

Alternaivly we could use the space behind the kitchen as the dumping area
and explain to 123recycleforfree that we have 900 members who may make
use of it and will probably fill the room!

--
[http://pointless.net/] [0x2ECA0975]

Tom Hodder

Apr 3, 2014, 12:53:35 PM4/3/14
On 1 April 2014 17:19, Jasper Wallace <jas...@pointless.net> wrote:
Please advise this is ok.
>             The items given at the time of booking will be the items collected on
>             this day. Any other items will need to be booked for a subsequent
>             collection on another date.

Secondly, the bin isn't going to be big enough :P

If the plan is to send a great deal of stuff, I think I have to notify them of the change.

(I thought it was an April fools joke about filling that back room with electrical recycling,  but I see that something is actually going on there....)

If its going to be significantly more than "a large bin", then can you let me know what they should be expecting?

Thanks,
Tom