Hackspace Reprap

Billy

Jul 5, 2012, 12:08:08 AM7/5/12
to London Hackspace

The basic frame is assembled.

What's needed now is the steppers, the wiring, the re-soldering of the
boards, the print-bed, and the extruder.

We need 5 of these, http://www.zappautomation.co.uk/sy42sth471684a-p-516.html?cPath=9_159_43

The wiring we've got from stock in the space.#

Artag offered to re-solder the boards.

Someone will need to show me how to use the pcb-etching tank, so i can
make the print-bed. Alternatively, they can make it, while i rubber-
neck...

Daniel Sikar offered to print the printable parts of the extruder.
There's a couple of other parts needed too. I'll email him later
today.

The rest of the extruder we can make from stock material/scrap we have
here.

If someone would like to start a wiki page, and take some photo's, we
can document the rest of the build.

Adrian Godwin

Jul 5, 2012, 3:26:39 AM7/5/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 5:08 AM, Billy <bi...@billycomputersmith.com> wrote:

> The basic frame is assembled.
>
> What's needed now is the steppers, the wiring, the re-soldering of the
> boards, the print-bed, and the extruder.
>
> We need 5 of these, http://www.zappautomation.co.uk/sy42sth471684a-p-516.html?cPath=9_159_43
>
> The wiring we've got from stock in the space.#
>
> Artag offered to re-solder the boards.

I'll be in later today to pick these up. I'd appreciate some more details :

* what boards are there ?
* did they ever work ?
* what happened to them - something bad or just left lying around too long ?
* does anybody know what's actually wrong / doesn't work on them ?

-adrian

Billy

Jul 5, 2012, 12:20:54 PM7/5/12
to London Hackspace

The boards are in an anti-static bag in the box to the right of the
frame.

They originally belonged to Hipster Chris. He said that two of the
resistors need replacing. Which ones they are and where they are on
the board, i have no idea.

Chris can explain what needs doing.

Thank you.

On Jul 5, 8:26 am, Adrian Godwin <artgod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 5:08 AM, Billy <bi...@billycomputersmith.com> wrote:
>
> > The basic frame is assembled.
>
> > What's needed now is the steppers, the wiring, the re-soldering of the
> > boards, the print-bed, and the extruder.
>
> > We need 5 of these,http://www.zappautomation.co.uk/sy42sth471684a-p-516.html?cPath=9_159_43

Ben Barwise

Jul 5, 2012, 4:41:54 PM7/5/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I have 1 NEMA 17 stepper if you want it? its unipolar and I don't know
the torque

exactly this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Servo-Co-KH42JM2R025A-1-8DEG-STEP-Stepper-Motor-/200711306335

recently pulled it from a photocopier in the street

or is that silly is it better to use a matching set?

Billy

Jul 5, 2012, 8:43:34 PM7/5/12
to London Hackspace

Cool

We only need 1 pair to be matching, and that's the two that work in
tandem for the Z-axis.

The only part with specific torque requirements is the stepper for the
extruder, and that needs minimum of 3.4Kg/cm. Gets the appropriate
pressure for the extrusion and to reduce the temperature needed for
the heating element.

As for the rest, i don't know. I've never built one of these things
before. Bring it in and we'll try it.

On Jul 5, 9:41 pm, Ben Barwise <clackj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have 1 NEMA 17 stepper if you want it? its unipolar and I don't know
> the torque
>
> exactly thishttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Servo-Co-KH42JM2R025A-1-8DEG-STEP-Stepper-Mot...

Adrian Godwin

Jul 5, 2012, 9:33:22 PM7/5/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I found the driver board, but hadn't seen your note so unfortunately
didn't ask hipster for advice. Anyway, I've got it, will ask him later
if it's not obvious.

-adrian

Tweaker

Jul 6, 2012, 5:17:56 AM7/6/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I'm all for scavenging the carcasses left on the streets for parts etc.
But in this instance to get the reprap momentum and see its conclusion within a reasonable time,I suggest a pledge for the Steppers.If some one could put up a pledge,or if not neccesary,just here,I chip in for one stepper,Nema 17.
With best of Intent,

Adrian Godwin

Jul 8, 2012, 2:51:24 AM7/8/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 5:08 AM, Billy <bi...@billycomputersmith.com> wrote:

> If someone would like to start a wiki page, and take some photo's, we
> can document the rest of the build.

Here's a wiki page. Please add photos or anything else you find useful.

http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Prusa

-adrian

Billy

Jul 12, 2012, 3:57:18 AM7/12/12
to London Hackspace

I've created a wiki page that lists the parts we need.
http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Prusa/Parts_List

It doesn't include the extruder, the electronics and the wiring yet,
but it should make it easier for people to see what we've got and what
else is needed.

I'll continue working on it later.

Monty

Jul 13, 2012, 6:25:38 AM7/13/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I know the Reprap is being worked on a lot lately but is there any chance it can be tidied away whenever people aren't actively working on it? It would be nice to be able to use the table it's on but at the moment it seems bit of a dumping ground. I'm sure it could all be moved to the far end of the desk that is otherwise unusable to a laptop user but I didn't want to do that as there seemed to be all kinds of loose nuts and screws.

Picture for reference: http://i.imgur.com/NxoJA.jpg

Billy

Jul 13, 2012, 8:00:05 AM7/13/12
to London Hackspace

Sorry about that.

I'll stash it when i get in today.

CEPMENDER

Jul 14, 2012, 4:02:49 AM7/14/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
First, thanks Billy for the efforts you are putting into this. A
working RepRap will be a real asset for the space

Could a box be made for it, one that could be used to store and
transport it and its accessories when it is finished? Any volunteers
for this? Or if anyone has something ready made?

While work is still in progress, all the odd bits should all fit into
a plastic members box or similar, that way it can be easily moved
about when not actually being worked on with less chance of bits
going missing / getting damaged..

Phil

Adrian Godwin

Jul 25, 2012, 4:42:59 AM7/25/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Sly
<smeighan.lon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So is there a working reprap in the space or does it still need repairs? And
> if its still in disrepair what still needs to be done? In other words how
> can I help?

I've got hold of some stepper motors and have some of the needed
hardware. Haven't tested the driver board yet (except for the
previously faulty part, now fixed). I've also got some of the
fasteners, though they're cheap and easy to get.

I would think the most useful thing would be to 'manage' it along -
most things only get done when someone's actively chasing them, so get
in touch with Billy and see what needs pushing.

-adrian

Sly

Jul 26, 2012, 9:32:50 AM7/26/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
How do I get a hold of Billy?

Sorry if this is a duplicate, idk if I actually hit 'Post' earlier. I don't see my original reply.

Adrian Godwin

Jul 26, 2012, 6:10:48 PM7/26/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
He's often in the Hackspace, or will see this thread and speak up. Or try emailing direct, his address will be in an earlier posting.

Billy

Jul 26, 2012, 7:57:09 PM7/26/12
to London Hackspace

Hi.

Sorry, i've been sidetracked by other adventures, and i was out of
London last weekend.

I've emailed Daniel for the extruder parts.

You can usually catch me via email, or at the hackspace at night.

On Jul 26, 11:10 pm, Adrian Godwin <artgod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> He's often in the Hackspace, or will see this thread and speak up. Or try
> emailing direct, his address will be in an earlier posting.

Matt Peperell

Jul 27, 2012, 2:15:34 PM7/27/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Mod