Re: [london-hack-space] Etch tank - which bits do you use ?

Russ Garrett

Jul 4, 2011, 5:38:32 AM7/4/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On 4 July 2011 10:25, Adrian Godwin <artg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In order to do these, I'd need to empty the stripper and tinner tanks
> and replace their contents. Obviously, they'd be clearly labelled to
> avoid confusion. However, I'd like to know if anyone is currently
> making use of these tanks - I suspect most people use only the
> deveoper and etch.

It's worth noting that the tinner does not require any heating at all
while it's in use (contrary to the instructions on the wall), and so
equally could be done in a separate tray. So I'm in favour of
scrapping that.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Charles Yarnold

Jul 4, 2011, 5:58:12 AM7/4/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I use all the stages apart from tinning.

Sol

On 4 July 2011 10:25, Adrian Godwin <artg...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm looking at a couple of projects that could be done in some of the
PCB etch tanks.

1. Cupric chloride etchant. This is cleaner to use and more easily
recycled than the Ferric Chloride we have used in the past. I would
need to use a spare tank for a while, but ultimately it would replace
the existing etch tank contents and should be equally usable.

2. Anodising. This would use one or two tanks more or less permanently.

In order to do these, I'd need to empty the stripper and tinner tanks
and replace their contents. Obviously, they'd be clearly labelled to
avoid confusion. However, I'd like to know if anyone is currently
making use of these tanks - I suspect most people use only the
deveoper and etch.

If you've used them, or intend to use them, please let me know :

1. How well they work (it's been said the tinner isn't all that good,
but I haven't tried it myself).
2. If the contents are still usable (I don't think they've been
changed so may well be exhausted)
3. If you would prefer to keep them as they are
4. What value you would place on maintaining them (the tinner at
least, is quite expensive so would need some commitment to maintaining
it in use).

-adrian

Adrian Godwin

Jul 4, 2011, 5:25:52 AM7/4/11
to london-hack-space

Billy

Jul 4, 2011, 6:15:38 AM7/4/11
to London Hackspace
I haven't used it, as i don't know how.

Anyone up for showing me?

Tim Richardson

Jul 4, 2011, 5:59:19 AM7/4/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I found the tinner to actually make it harder to solder the board, so don't use it anymore.

Mike Harrison

Jul 4, 2011, 6:40:29 AM7/4/11
On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 03:40:09 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>sure!
>
>I use the developer, etcher and stripper. If the stripper is chucked
>away what can we use in its place?

I use meths - dribble a few drops on, tilt the board around so it covers the board, wait 30 secs &
wipe off with kitchen towel.

Adrian Godwin

Jul 4, 2011, 7:14:20 AM7/4/11
On 7/4/11, tom <bollo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I use the developer, etcher and stripper. If the stripper is chucked
> away what can we use in its place?

It seems the stripper is popular, so I'm not going to do anything with
that at the moment. If the anodising experiment turns out well we can
consider how best to use the equipment.

I propose that I drain the tinning tank and keep the contents in case
anyone wants to use it. I'll then use that tank to prepare the cupric
chloride and at some point either replace the ferric chloride or
revert to using it. I'll then consider reusing the tinning tank for
anodising.

This is entirely reversible, it's just a matter of cleaning stuff out.
I'm merely making sure no-one loses a facility they find useful, even
temporarily.

-adrian

tom

Jul 4, 2011, 6:40:09 AM7/4/11