Door code is now active

21 views
Skip to first unread message

Russ Garrett

unread,
Jul 13, 2011, 3:23:24 PM7/13/11
to London Hack Space
The door code at Cremer Street is now active. If you need to get in
outside of the hours of 7am to 7pm, the code is available (for members
only) on this page:

http://london.hackspace.org.uk/members/night.php

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Katie Sutton

unread,
Jul 13, 2011, 6:04:03 PM7/13/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On 13 July 2011 20:23, Russ Garrett <ru...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:
> The door code at Cremer Street is now active. If you need to get in
> outside of the hours of 7am to 7pm, the code is available (for members
> only) on this page:
>
> http://london.hackspace.org.uk/members/night.php

Obviously I don't want to post it to the list as non-members also
watch but I have come up with a pnemonic to remember the code; if folk
want to email me off list I'd be happy to share it.

Alternatively, it could be posted along with the code on the members page.

--
Katie Sutton
http://tajasel.org

"The ‘Net is a waste of time, and that’s exactly what’s right about
it." ~ William Gibson

Nick L

unread,
Jul 14, 2011, 3:39:54 AM7/14/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'd suggest having the mnemonic on the members page, for the same reason that the code is - we'd want to have it visible to members only. I suspect it would be simpler to let the website deal with checking membership through it's log-on system rather than manually checking anybodies name against the members list.

  Nick

tom

unread,
Jul 14, 2011, 4:54:34 AM7/14/11
to London Hackspace
No i propose a vastly over engineered technical solution, involving
the kinect, lasers and some sort of web2.0 bollocks.

Is it really that hard just to bookmark the wiki on your phone and
look at it if you forget?

On Jul 14, 8:39 am, Nick L <rev.st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd suggest having the mnemonic on the members page, for the same reason
> that the code is - we'd want to have it visible to members only. I suspect
> it would be simpler to let the website deal with checking membership through
> it's log-on system rather than manually checking anybodies name against the
> members list.
>
>   Nick
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Katie Sutton <ka...@tajasel.org> wrote:

Mark Steward

unread,
Jul 14, 2011, 4:56:29 AM7/14/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
It's also pretty easy to remember visually, if you've tried entering it on a phone keypad.

Mark

Sci

unread,
Jul 14, 2011, 5:32:58 AM7/14/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hell, I just wrote it in pen on my Oyster card. I mean, I have to have
that card with me to get into the space itself.

>>> "The �Net is a waste of time, and that�s exactly what�s right about
>>> it." ~ William Gibson
>

Katie Sutton

unread,
Jul 14, 2011, 6:18:40 AM7/14/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On 14 July 2011 09:56, Mark Steward <marks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's also pretty easy to remember visually, if you've tried entering it on a
> phone keypad.
> Mark

That's how I worked out the mnemonic word, by looking at my phone :)
there's only actually one fairly commonly used word I can think of
that the number combination can spell; there are two words total, but
one is more Americanised. I expect people in charge of updating the
website have worked it out, anyway.

Mark Steward

unread,
Jul 14, 2011, 6:25:24 AM7/14/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Katie Sutton <ka...@tajasel.org> wrote:
there's only actually one fairly commonly used word I can think of
that the number combination can spell; there are two words total, but
one is more Americanised.


This sounds like a puzzle.

ynohtna

unread,
Jul 14, 2011, 6:26:07 AM7/14/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
There's also some nice numeric mnemonics for folks whose brains work in that way.

[x] [y] [x-1] [y+1]

    OR

[x] [y] [(x+1)y]

where y = 10 - x

I can't promise that such an algorithm consumes less synaptic resources than simply memorising the 4 digits, though.


A.

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Katie Sutton <ka...@tajasel.org> wrote:

Katie Sutton

unread,
Jul 14, 2011, 6:28:58 AM7/14/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Riddle me, riddle me, ree...

Alec Wright

unread,
Jul 14, 2011, 6:34:29 AM7/14/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 2011-07-14 at 11:26 +0100, ynohtna wrote:
> There's also some nice numeric mnemonics for folks whose brains work
> in that way.
>
>
> [x] [y] [x-1] [y+1]
>
>
> OR
>
>
> [x] [y] [(x+1)y]
>
>
> where y = 10 - x
>
>
> I can't promise that such an algorithm consumes less synaptic
> resources than simply memorising the 4 digits, though.
>
>
>
>
> A.

Thanks, you just saved me from having to look it up: you can solve
10(x-1)+((10-x)+1)=(x+1)(10-x) as a polynomial :P


signature.asc

Dave Ingram

unread,
Jul 14, 2011, 6:44:57 AM7/14/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I presume it's the positive solution? ;-)

Martin Klang

unread,
Jul 14, 2011, 8:45:28 AM7/14/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

so there's a sign on the door now saying something like:
'Hackspace members call xyz for the code'

It makes it look like any chancer can call the number and get the code.

The idea surely should be that if you call, someone will come down to let you in. No giving out codes.
If you're a member and don't have the code, then the solution is simply to go to the members page. Easy.

Would be much better for the sign to just say Hackspace and the number -
if you're visiting and can't get in then you'll figure out what to do.

Also bear in mind that this list is public. In fact it comes up if you google 'Cremer business centre door code'.

/m

Nick Boyle

unread,
Jul 14, 2011, 9:07:32 AM7/14/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
It's the same as my PIN ... oh, oops.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages