Access to an Arbour Press or Hydraulic Press?

Jon Russell

Jan 7, 2024, 10:55:20 AMJan 7
to London Hackspace
Hi,

Does anyone know where there is a Arbour Press or Hydraulic Press I can use?
I need to press a gas strut out of a Herman Millar Chair.
Maybe another hackspace or a local friendly workshop?

Thanks !

Jon.

Toby Molyneux

Jan 7, 2024, 5:40:41 PMJan 7
to London Hackspace
Hi Jon,

LHS has a hydraulic press, disassembled for storage - if you're able to make it to a wednesday members night we could try and find all the bits and get it going again?
Depending on the geometry it may also fit into the fly press, which can double up for that kind of work if there's spare hands to hold it

Toby

henry...@ntlworld.com

Jan 8, 2024, 9:40:46 AMJan 8
to London Hackspace
Spare hands to hold it??? I wouldn't put my hands anywhere near the workpiece when the flypress is in use.

Toby Molyneux

Jan 8, 2024, 11:09:55 AMJan 8
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Good point, to clarify:

*to help hold the parts during set-up, because the fly press doesn't have a self-holding capacity like a hydraulic ram -
Hands should be well clear for the actual pressing operation, as always

Jon Russell

Jan 8, 2024, 12:56:33 PMJan 8
to London Hackspace
Thanks. Very true. :-)
I didn't know the space was even open.
I am trying my local garage tomorrow. He has a small hydraulic press.
I think the biggest issue will be holding it, whatever press I use. The base is all curved and the top has a very small area to hold.

If that fails, I'll arrange a Wed to come to LHS.

Thanks!

2024-01-07 15.13.42.jpg2024-01-07 15.13.32.jpg2024-01-07 15.13.28.jpg2024-01-07 15.13.24.jpg

Toby Molyneux

Jan 9, 2024, 3:58:03 AMJan 9
to London Hackspace
Yeah, that is going to be an awkward shape to press, should be possible though - if you garage doesn't have any luck we can defo give it a whirl in the space at some point, though I suspect his press is at least as good as ours