Laser cutter cooling system

Jo

Nov 15, 2011, 6:19:29 PM11/15/11
to London Hackspace
Hello everyone,

I think there is something wrong with the laser cutter's cooling
system. I used the laser cutter this evening and had to keep pausing
it because the water temperature got to over 26C and wouldn't come
down again. Either that or the thermometer is dodgy (but it seemed to
work fine on my hand...).
Anyway I have no idea how to fix this because I don't know how the
cooling system works. Please could somebody either take a look at it
or preferably show me how to fix it, so that I don't have to bother
the mailing list next time? In fact I would be really grateful for
some training in basic maintenance of the laser cutter, because it's
the only piece of equipment at the space I really use and my primary
reason for being a member. I also live in West London so it's a real
pain when I slog all the way over to Hoxton to find the laser cutter's
died again, and even if I can't be the one to fix it I'd like to know
how to not contribute to it breaking.
Anyway I intend to come in again on Saturday, is there any chance
someone who knows about the whole maintenance side of things would be
willing to meet me then and show me what to do?

Many thanks in advance...

Jo

Adrian Godwin

Nov 15, 2011, 6:34:22 PM11/15/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Looks like coolbot has been dead since sunday lunchtime.

http://hack.rs/cacti/graph_view.php?action=tree&tree_id=7&leaf_id=59

Well done to Jo for

a) noting the temperature and not proceeding when it was getting too hot
b) reporting the problem

Could someone reboot coolbot please ?

-adrian

Russ Garrett

Nov 15, 2011, 6:54:16 PM11/15/11
On 15 November 2011 23:34, Adrian Godwin <artg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks like coolbot has been dead since sunday lunchtime.

I rebooted it twice tonight. Most recently it seemed like it was
over-cooling as the temperature was below 18 degrees.

This needs looking at, can someone please take charge of this?

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Charles Yarnold

Nov 15, 2011, 8:08:16 PM11/15/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Its top of my list when I get back in 3 weeks time, before then please feel free to look over its code, nanode types most welcome!

Jo

Nov 17, 2011, 9:41:08 AM11/17/11
to London Hackspace
That's great Charles, many thanks - in the meantime, can I confirm
please that the laser cutter is still useable, and is likely to remain
so until Saturday when I next visit the space? And how exactly do I
"reboot coolbot" if I run into the same problem again on Saturday?

Thanks,

Jo

On Nov 16, 1:08 am, Charles Yarnold <charlesyarn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Its top of my list when I get back in 3 weeks time, before then please feel
> free to look over its code, nanode types most welcome!
>
> https://github.com/solexious/CoolBot
>
> On 15 November 2011 23:54, Russ Garrett <r...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > On 15 November 2011 23:34, Adrian Godwin <artgod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Looks like coolbot has been dead since sunday lunchtime.
>
> > I rebooted it twice tonight. Most recently it seemed like it was
> > over-cooling as the temperature was below 18 degrees.
>
> > This needs looking at, can someone please take charge of this?
>
> > --
> > Russ Garrett
> > r...@garrett.co.uk

Martin Klang

Nov 17, 2011, 10:03:52 AM11/17/11
On 17 Nov 2011, at 14:41, Jo wrote:

> how exactly do I
> "reboot coolbot" if I run into the same problem again on Saturday?

unplug the power supply -
it's near the floor, to the left of the cutter; a universal psu.
Labelled coolbot.

Also remember to plug the fan psu in.
One (or both?) of the circulation fans on the right side of the bed is powered by an external wall-wart, which is usually plugged in to a strip to the right of the cutter.

/m

Jakob

Nov 17, 2011, 7:41:12 PM11/17/11
to London Hackspace
Yo
You might wanna have a look at a picture I made today from a testrun I
did on the laser today. If you are doing cutting that involves a shape
within a shape and you what it to come out annything like your drawing
you might have to struggle a lot.
http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Equipment/LaserCutter/LogBook

Jakob

Russ Garrett

Nov 17, 2011, 8:12:13 PM11/17/11
On 18 November 2011 00:41, Jakob <jakob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You might wanna have a look at a picture I made today from a testrun I
> did on the laser today. If you are doing cutting that involves a shape
> within a shape and you what it to come out annything like your drawing
> you might have to struggle a lot.
> http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Equipment/LaserCutter/LogBook

This is indicative of a loose belt.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Jo

Nov 18, 2011, 3:34:50 AM11/18/11
to London Hackspace
Many thanks Martin, that's very helpful.

Jakob, I haven't found any problems with the accuracy of the cutter,
but I use a much lower speed - could a possible solution to your
problem be to use a lower speed combined with a lower power?

Russ, if the above problem is indicative of a loose belt, how may the
belt be tightened?

Finally, who is the main person in charge of maintenance of the laser
cutter? Please get in touch with me as I would like some training in
cleaning and maintaining it.

Best wishes,

Jo

Jakob

Nov 18, 2011, 5:13:18 AM11/18/11
to London Hackspace
The off-centre result of catered circles where cut at speed 4, do not
know if a speed of 1 or two or 0.2 might do it.. maby worth trying.
Hope the tightening belt will do the trick. Would be lovely if somone
with experiens of tightening the belt could post a little guide, or
maybe that guide is already is done, remember reeding about someone
tightening the belt somewhere.
Jakob

Jo

Nov 19, 2011, 6:46:04 AM11/19/11
to London Hackspace
Jakob - ah, actually I was using a speed of 4 as well, but I guess my
design has a slightly higher tolerance for inaccuracy.

Yes I agree - can we have a guide please, or a link to a guide if it
has alredy been done, or even better can someone who knows what
they're doing please get in touch about giving me some training? Once
I know what I'm doing I'd also be happy to train others.

Best wishes,

Jo

Charles Yarnold

Nov 19, 2011, 2:28:31 PM11/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

There isn't a guide to maintenance at the moment to prevent people thinking that this is all you need to have to fix it, but training is needed. :-)

I plan to run an advanced laser course once I'm back in a few weeks

Sol

Mark Steward

Nov 19, 2011, 3:07:42 PM11/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

This has proven extremely unhelpful. I think you could probably get away with a warning saying "This is only for people who've been trained in maintenance". Surely the guidance changes as we learn more anyway?

Mark

Adrian Godwin

Nov 19, 2011, 3:25:07 PM11/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
We do occasionally suffer from people who think they know everything.
In general. they're worse than people who know nothing and a lot worse
than people who know they know nothing. People who think they only
need to read up one small area can be just as irritating.

But no, I'm not convinced that having no documentation anywhere of
what we've learnt is the answer. Don't really know what is, though -
I'm not confident, based on past experience, that self-restraint is
adequate.

-adrian

Charles Yarnold

Nov 19, 2011, 3:25:14 PM11/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Sure, but I think more trained people is the better solution...

Adrian Godwin

Nov 19, 2011, 3:27:23 PM11/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Most definitely.

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 8:25 PM, Charles Yarnold