New Mailing List

Jean-Paul Sauve

May 8, 2014, 12:36:23 PM5/8/14
to lo...@googlegroups.com
This mailing list seems to have been abandoned by its founder, so new members aren't being accepted. This is obviously useless to everyone, so I am going to start another one. Any suggestions on how to best accomplish it? I'm not really looking to run my own mail server (but I will if it's the best option), but I would like to somehow integrate it with the LOLUG site (drupal). I would also like something free and relatively dependable. Does anyone have experience with mailchimp or Something like osdir.com with basic navigation controls at the very least.
Another option would be to just ease up on the site permissions (perhaps by using openid instead of logins?) and using drupal's built-in forums (or external forums like phpbb).

Ben Bechard

May 8, 2014, 9:49:50 PM5/8/14
to lo...@googlegroups.com
What about converting to a google + group?  I've done that with another group of local IT buddies .  It can have different discussions groups (forums) and if you enable notifications it can work somewhat similar to a distribution group, would avoid needing to setup a mail server.  Cons might be that not everyone has (or wants ) a G+ account.

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 12:36 PM, Jean-Paul Sauve <liberala...@gmail.com> wrote:
This mailing list seems to have been abandoned by its founder, so new members aren't being accepted. This is obviously useless to everyone, so I am going to start another one. Any suggestions on how to best accomplish it? I'm not really looking to run my own mail server (but I will if it's the best option), but I would like to somehow integrate it with the LOLUG site (drupal). I would also like something free and relatively dependable. Does anyone have experience with mailchimp or Something like osdir.com with basic navigation controls at the very least.
Another option would be to just ease up on the site permissions (perhaps by using openid instead of logins?) and using drupal's built-in forums (or external forums like phpbb).

Matt Ward

May 9, 2014, 9:44:48 AM5/9/14
to lo...@googlegroups.com
+1 to the G+ group. May be the best option.

Doug Stewart

May 9, 2014, 9:55:58 AM5/9/14
to lo...@googlegroups.com

G+   is OK with me

Andrew

May 9, 2014, 10:23:43 AM5/9/14
to lo...@googlegroups.com
Well, since I'm on the list. G+ works for me

Jean-Paul Sauve

May 10, 2014, 12:35:41 AM5/10/14
to lo...@googlegroups.com
Interesting. While I'm a heavy user of Google services, I don't think we should restrict a list to users with particular email providers. This would be an interesting discussion topic for our first meeting!

On Thursday, May 8, 2014 9:49:50 PM UTC-4, Ben_13 wrote:
Message has been deleted

Jean-Paul Sauve

May 10, 2014, 12:20:51 PM5/10/14
to lo...@googlegroups.com
Everything seems ok so far (if Doug received my reply to the list), and I'm just updating rDNS now.
JP

On Saturday, May 10, 2014 4:51:52 AM UTC-4, Jean-Paul Sauve wrote:
Everyone is welcome to test out a new list! You can get the sign-up page on http://lolug.ca/mailing-list or you can send a message to lolug-s...@lists.lolug.ca to subscribe. Please let me know what you think, and whether you get any errors or lag. This is running on an always-on server, so very little downtime should be expected.
JP

Jean-Paul Sauve

May 10, 2014, 12:50:32 PM5/10/14
to lo...@googlegroups.com
On the phone with teksavvy now, and this tech doesn't know about rDNS. It's a struggle... It could take 24 - 48 hours for the entry to be updated, so outbound mail could be rejected by some servers.
JP

Curtis Nixon

May 10, 2014, 7:58:47 PM5/10/14
to lo...@googlegroups.com
heads up to whoever has lolug.ca...it's expiring next month.

JP

May 10, 2014, 7:59:43 PM5/10/14
to lo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. It's on auto-renew.