Is loki the right tool - advice needed

Mark P

Oct 10, 2022, 11:06:23 AM10/10/22
to lokiproject
Hi there,

we are looking for a modern way to analyze and aggregate logfilesets sent by our customers as feedbacks of the WiX bootstrapper installation for around 50 different products on windows computers.

Each customer sents multiple files zipped together: This includes an overview-xml-file with main data about the product/version, installation mode (singleplace, server-client, client), details about the windows operating system and the installation result, the main bootstrapper-logfile (if installation was successful). In case of an installation failure we will send all secondary msi-logfiles for all packages as well (all those can get up to 50 MB for each fileset).

We want to achieve the following tasks and goals with loki:
- detailed statistics for each product and version, installation mode, operating system, success or failure
- drilldown on errors across products and versions,  so aggregate by error and show how many occurrences are in which products,  using which operating system, which installationmode
- both of the above can be filtered for specific groups of products, time periods and operating systems.

At the moment we are using a very complicated custom made analysis server with an sql server and a custom written windows service to handle, unzip, analyze and move the zip-feedbackfile to a network location for further reference. Display is done with a very limited IIS-Website with very little configuration possible.

We handle about 20.000 feedbacks per day with peaks of up to 100.000 and zip-file-sizes vary from a few KB to a few MB at most (compressed).

Do you think based on your detailed knowledge, Loki is the tool to have a deeper look into in order to accomplish our tasks and goals? Or is there a project specifically designed to analyze WiX-Bootstrapper-Logfiles?

Thanks very much in advance,

Mark