Ambiguous lojban sentences?

Robert Baruch

Mar 7, 2020, 6:59:42 PM3/7/20
to lojban
I spent a few minutes trying to find a pair of bridi whose meaning is different but whose spelling is the same:

  • do vecnu le ciska mi (You sell the scribe to me)
  • do vecnu le ci skami (You sell the three computers)
camxes parses each of these differently depending on the spaces, which I thought was not a thing (CLL 4.1: "A stream of Lojban sounds can be uniquely broken up into its component words according to specific rules")

Q: Are these correctly formed bridi?

Q: Is the thing I thought I loved about Lojban most -- unambiguous syntactic parsing, which I thought CLL 4.1 stated -- actually not a thing?

Thanks!

--Rob

Junpe OKAU

Mar 7, 2020, 7:07:56 PM3/7/20
to loj...@googlegroups.com
lu
dovEcnulecIskami
li'u na'e du lu
dovEcnuleciskAmi
li'u

Robert Baruch

Mar 7, 2020, 7:28:09 PM3/7/20
to lojban
Oh. CLL example 3.31 and 3.32 :( And also CLL p. 42: "Primary stress is required on the penultimate syllable of Lojban content words (called brivla)."

This means that if I were to parse one of those bridi by software, the stress must be a part of the lexing, as in the bridi you quoted.

Thanks, I think that answers my questions.

--Rob

Michael Turniansky

Mar 7, 2020, 7:42:44 PM3/7/20
to loj...@googlegroups.com
  Correct, but in written lojban, if you have whitespace, it implies the stress of the spoken, so there is no ambiguity

         --gejysps

Pierre Abbat

Mar 7, 2020, 11:48:56 PM3/7/20
to loj...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, 7 March 2020 18:59:41 EST Robert Baruch wrote:
> I spent a few minutes trying to find a pair of bridi whose meaning is
> different but whose spelling is the same:
>

> - do vecnu le ciska mi (You sell the scribe to me)
> - do vecnu le ci skami (You sell the three computers)

You can even say "do vecnu le ciska mi le ci skami" (you sell the scribe to me
for the three computers). I once came up with a valid Lojban sentence
consisting of the same letters three times, with different spacing: lo jbojbe
na lojbo jbena lo jbojbena.

Pierre

--
gau do li'i co'e kei do