Volunteers / Reports from Lindar

Lindar Greenwood

Jul 9, 2012, 6:11:28 AM7/9/12
to lojba...@googlegroups.com
[03:09] <imami|afk> lindar: can you tell pierre I'd be willing to build the whole application for testing, if he can put up with a bit of tardines??
(From IRC)

Relaying information by request. Please directly address imami/banseljaj on IRC or word a response directly to him for me to deliver.

Lindar Greenwood

Jul 9, 2012, 7:20:19 AM7/9/12
to lojba...@googlegroups.com
Relaying things from Google+ (these are summaries):

bek dc: Can donate code/website if you like Drupal. Can happen later in the year.
Roman Treutlein: I like this idea.
Chris Done: Look at natlang learning books for these kinds of tests and see what they test for at their levels. Also, I'm coming up with essentially a random-test-generator that produces example sentences for a particular word. Also, I can chip in some code. I'll stop by IRC at some point.

Relaying things from Facebook:

We got two "likes" (non-commenting indications of approval) on our post.

Pierre Abbat

Jul 9, 2012, 8:05:34 AM7/9/12
to lojba...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, July 09, 2012 04:20:19 AM Lindar Greenwood wrote:
> Relaying things from Google+ (these are summaries):
>
> bek dc: Can donate code/website if you like Drupal. Can happen later in the
> year.

I have no idea what Drupal is. I'm going to code in PHP with a database back
end. I just added a few columns to tables based on what Imami said.

> Chris Done: Look at natlang learning books for these kinds of tests and see
> what they test for at their levels. Also, I'm coming up with essentially a
> random-test-generator that produces example sentences for a particular
> word. Also, I can chip in some code. I'll stop by IRC at some point.

Sounds good. What I'm thinking about the generation format is that the PHP
code will produce two documents in PS or PDF, one being the test and the other
the answer key. They will be numbered so that the key can be matched to the
test. The test will be entirely in Lojban, including instructions.

Pierre
--
I believe in Yellow when I'm in Sweden and in Black when I'm in Wales.

Ali Sajid Imami

Jul 9, 2012, 8:18:51 AM7/9/12
to lojba...@googlegroups.com

> Relaying things from Google+ (these are summaries):
>
> bek dc: Can donate code/website if you like Drupal. Can happen later in the
> year.

I have no idea what Drupal is. I'm going to code in PHP with a database back
end. I just added a few columns to tables based on what Imami said.

Drupal is a PHP based framework for CMSs. And if we are going after frameworks, we can just go ahead and use Moodle.

> Chris Done: Look at natlang learning books for these kinds of tests and see
> what they test for at their levels. Also, I'm coming up with essentially a
> random-test-generator that produces example sentences for a particular
> word. Also, I can chip in some code. I'll stop by IRC at some point.

Sounds good. What I'm thinking about the generation format is that the PHP
code will produce two documents in PS or PDF, one being the test and the other
the answer key. They will be numbered so that the key can be matched to the
test. The test will be entirely in Lojban, including instructions.

I was under the impression that this was totally on-line. If we are doing the offline stuff, we should consider auto-multiple-choice. It can be hooked up to a PHP/MySQL set up.

Pierre
--
I believe in Yellow when I'm in Sweden and in Black when I'm in Wales

--
Regards,
Ali Sajid Imami

Lindar Greenwood

Jul 9, 2012, 12:35:37 PM7/9/12
to lojba...@googlegroups.com
Timo writes:

+Christopher Done, +Ali Sajid Imami, this is the concept I wrote before I started the first draft (code unfortunately lost): http://perpetuum-immobile.de/jboclidju%20concept.html

And here's the first bits of code I wrote for the second version:http://gitorious.org/jboclidju/

Lindar Greenwood

Jul 17, 2012, 3:00:50 AM7/17/12
to lojba...@googlegroups.com

all i know, is rafsi and construction of rafsi should be at the hardest level, because that's really what fluency in lojban would be about: being able to change, adopt, improve, and tweak the meanings of words to suit exactly what you're describing. Maybe there could be an essay portion, in which you describe what is happening in a 15 minute video as specifically as you can in lojban. this is at the very hardest level, mind you.

Now that i've written that down, it sounds REALLY effin' hard. so yeah. stuff to think about, though

Pierre Abbat

Jul 23, 2012, 8:03:22 AM7/23/12
to lojba...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday 17 July 2012 03:00:50 Lindar Greenwood wrote:
> Ethan Parrott <https://plus.google.com/u/0/103579058673367647054> says:
>
> all i know, is rafsi and construction of rafsi should be at the hardest
> level, because that's really what fluency in lojban would be about: being
> able to change, adopt, improve, and tweak the meanings of words to suit
> exactly what you're describing. Maybe there could be an essay portion, in
> which you describe what is happening in a 15 minute video as specifically
> as you can in lojban. this is at the very hardest level, mind you.
>
> Now that i've written that down, it sounds *REALLY* effin' hard. so yeah.
> stuff to think about, though

Even at easy levels, I think there should be some open-ended questions and
some questions where the answer has to be spoken. A first-level Lojbanist
could be asked "lo finpe ku xabju ma" and should be able to answer "lo djacu"
or "lo xamsi" or "lo rirxe" or "lo lalxu" without being presented a list of
possible answers. This part of the test should be recorded, not graded while
testing.

Pierre

--
When a barnacle settles down, its brain disintegrates.
Já não percebe nada, já não percebe nada.