Hebrew-style names in Lojban?

tomislav.mat...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2017, 2:07:25 PM12/17/17
to Lojban Beginners
Tomislav here.

In the Hebrew Bible, several people are given names that are actually short sentences. For instance

Daniel :: "My judge is God"

Eliyahu :: "My God is Yah[weh]"

Mahersalalhashbaz :: "Quick to the plunder, quick to the spoil"

How would one create calque names like these in Lojban?

gleki.is...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2017, 5:15:52 AM12/18/17
to Lojban Beginners

Em domingo, 17 de dezembro de 2017 22:07:25 UTC+3, Tomislav Ostojich escreveu:
Tomislav here.

In the Hebrew Bible, several people are given names that are actually short sentences. For instance

Daniel :: "My judge is God"

{la nu le cevni tu'a mi pajni}
My name is Daniel => {.i lu nu le cevni tu'a mi pajni cu cmene mi}

Eliyahu :: "My God is Yah[weh]"

{la nu la .adonais. cevni mi}

Mahersalalhashbaz :: "Quick to the plunder, quick to the spoil"

{la sutra be lo ka gunta e lo ka lebna} or something.

And various options to compress such names, e.g. {la gunta je lebna sutra} and then maybe even lujvo {gutyjvele'asutra} since the original is also kinda lujvo.

Remo Dentato

Dec 18, 2017, 8:06:45 AM12/18/17
to lojban-beginners
I confess I'm biased towards cmevla for names.
If I would find someone called {la .paicev.}  I would assume that his name refers to a judging God {pajni cevni}.
Similrarly for {la .ia'ycev.} if you want to keep a similar sound to Yah.