Fwd: code4lib linked data preconference

1 view

Ed Summers

Feb 21, 2009, 5:38:29 AM2/21/09
to lod-p...@googlegroups.com
Latest info from Bonnie @brown.edu regarding the linked-data preconf
... sans the spreadsheet which some people (well one) objected to me
distributing...

//Ed

Feb 21, 2009, 8:32:36 AM2/21/09
to lod-p...@googlegroups.com
What is the implication of "If using a Mac, please provide your own dongle"? I will be using a Mac, does this mean I won't have internet access (no wi-fi)? I'm sort of dependent on both (internet access and Mac/keynote) for my presentation of libris.kb.se (but I can improvise, of course). I got a mail from Bonnie that there was a Mac available in the main conference room, so I just assumed there would be a Mac available for the preconference as well... Maybe I should have asked about that earlier. Sorry.

I will bring my macbook air, but shall I prepare for hooking it up to an external monitor/projector? If "dongle" is what i think it is (the 3G internet access thingy) - can I borrow one if needed? The macbook air only has one usb-port... Can I, if needed, borrow a usb-hub?

With the exception of these hopefully minor problems, I'm really looking forward to the preconference.

/ Anders

________________________________

... sans the spreadsheet which some people (well one) objected to me
distributing...

//Ed

Ross Singer

Feb 21, 2009, 9:00:51 AM2/21/09
to lod-p...@googlegroups.com
No, I think this is referring to the video adapter.

Last year while MC-ing, I erroneously referred to this as a 'dongle'
and it sort of took on a life of its own.

My interpretation of this is that "there are no guarantees of
connectivity" which will show major downside of LOD.

Perhaps it will inspire a Google Gears app in the breakout :)

-Ross.

Ed Summers

Feb 21, 2009, 9:44:19 AM2/21/09
to lod-p...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, not having Internet will be major bummer and will lead to early
departure to local pub I think...

Jean Rainwater

Feb 21, 2009, 10:36:58 AM2/21/09
to lod-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,
There WILL be internet access at the hotel (or there better be because we're
paying a bunch for it). Our IT folks were concerned about the wireless at
Brown and lots of simultaneous downloading of large files. They worry a lot
but that's often good.

The dongle is a MAC video connector. I always carry it with me cuz they're
never supplied and someone always needs one.

We're using a MacBook Pro (mine) as a podium computer for the conference but
hadn't planned to provide laptops for the pre-conferences. I'm in the the
lod preconf so you're welcome to use mine (and my dongle!) for the morning.

-- Jean

Klein, Michael

Feb 21, 2009, 1:32:37 PM2/21/09
to lod-p...@googlegroups.com

Making matters even more confusing is the fact that Mac laptops made in the past 5 years may have either a DVI (15-inch PowerBook G4, Original MacBook Pro), Mini-DVI (12-inch PowerBook G4, Polycarbonate MacBook), Micro-DVI (Original MacBook Air), or Mini DisplayPort (Unibody MacBook Pro, Aluminum MacBook, Revised MacBook Air). Most machines with the Mini- and Micro-DVI ports came with DVI adapters, but people might not think to travel with them.

I'm bringing a full-size DVI->VGA adapta-dongle-thingy if anyone needs one. I wish I'd thought to borrow one of the Mini-DVI->VGA adapters from work, but I didn't. I'll email Scot and ask if he's got a Mini DisplayPort adapter, since he has an Aluminum MacBook. For the other two, we'll just have to wait and see.

I love my Mac. But I continue to hate Apple's propensity to abandon useful ports.

----
Michael B. Klein
Digital Initiatives Technology Librarian
BPL Digital Library Program
mkl...@bpl.org

Anders Söderbäck

Feb 21, 2009, 2:05:46 PM2/21/09
to lod-p...@googlegroups.com
I just realized I have a dongle (micro-DVI to VGA). I will bring it! I will also bring a USB Ethernet adapter and an Airport Express, just to be sure I can connect at least from my hotel room.

/ Anders

Feb 21, 2009, 5:36:19 PM2/21/09
to lod-p...@googlegroups.com
Thanks much, Jean! You folks have put a lot into making this a
successful conference -- and it shows.

-Mike

Fleming, Declan

Feb 22, 2009, 10:14:09 AM2/22/09
to lod-p...@googlegroups.com
Preconf communication and attention to detail++ !!!

Excellent work!