cell phone carrier

ANDREA LAPPEN

Jun 14, 2024, 3:41:50 PMJun 14
to loc...@googlegroups.com
Do people have a cell phone carrier they like? I've had Verizon for many years and while the coverage used to be good in our area, it's now lousy. I get one bar at my house and have many dropped calls. Verizon has been unwilling/unable to do anything about it. I'd like to switch companies but don't want to end up with another bad situation. Thanks for your input!
Andrea

Comcast

Jun 14, 2024, 5:16:40 PMJun 14
to ANDREA LAPPEN, loc...@googlegroups.com
AT&T seems to work OK.
There are smaller carriers that use the AT&T network. Just saw several in a simple search.
—Alan Gould
—  🚴🏼‍♂️

On Jun 14, 2024, at 12:42 PM, ANDREA LAPPEN <andrea...@comcast.net> wrote:

Do people have a cell phone carrier they like? I've had Verizon for many years and while the coverage used to be good in our area, it's now lousy. I get one bar at my house and have many dropped calls. Verizon has been unwilling/unable to do anything about it. I'd like to switch companies but don't want to end up with another bad situation. Thanks for your input!
Andrea

Phillip Price

Jun 14, 2024, 9:06:50 PMJun 14
to ANDREA LAPPEN, loc...@googlegroups.com
We have Verizon and had the same problem as you: many dropped calls, really can’t use the phone from some places in our house. Then I installed a cell phone signal booster — pretty pricey at about $500 if I recall correctly — and the situation is a lot better, though still not perfect. I could probably improve it farther by adjusting the antenna, but it’s a bit of a pain and I haven’t gotten around to it.  Anyway most of our calls now work OK from most of our house.

I don’t know the situation with Android, but with Apple phones there’s a number you can dial to get a numerical measurement of signal strength etc., you can measure it as you walk around the house, or before and after installing a signal booster.  It’s not really useful at improving the situation but at least can help document how bad it is, which I found to be somehow comforting.

Good luck!

Phil Price

Peggy Mendelson

Jun 18, 2024, 12:17:10 PMJun 18
to adg...@comcast.net, andrea...@comcast.net, loc...@googlegroups.com

I am having the same problem with calls dropping.  I thought it was my old phone.  Recently someone told me they had t-mobile and they really like it

mqk...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2024, 2:47:58 PMJun 19
to LOCCNA
I've been on T-Mobile's network for years (via reseller Mint Mobile), and found coverage spotty, especially outside cities. We also have a Verizon phone, which gets much better coverage.

I'm switching to a reseller called US Mobile, which lets you use both these networks. It's $15/month (with 10 GB of data) per line if you prepay a year. Haven't activated it yet, but their support (via email) is amazingly responsive.