Fwd: Join us! "Much Ado" opens 6/29 - including July 4th! - at John Hinkel Park

Alan Gould

Jun 12, 2024, 8:13:17 PMJun 12
to LOCCNA

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Actors Ensemble of Berkeley" <Actors_Ensemb...@mail.vresp.com>
Subject: Join us! "Much Ado" opens 6/29 - including July 4th! - at John Hinkel Park
Date: June 12, 2024 at 4:51:23 PM PDT

aelogo Actors Ensemble of Berkeley
 Much Ado About Nothing

This Summer in John Hinkel Park
Opens June 29th!
Special Performance Thursday, July 4th
View of John Hinkel Park

Much Ado Square Logo
Actors Ensemble presents the first of two produuctions for our Summer 2024 season in the John Hinkel Park Amphitheatre, William Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing, in a modern-dress adaption directed by Glenn Havlan, adapted by Glenn Havlan and Gaby Schneider.  Free-of-charge, reservations encouraged (especially for those in wheelchairs or with limited mobility) but not necessary - visit www.aeofberkeley.org for reservation information.

Much Ado About Nothing is one of Shakespeare's most-loved comedies, revolving around two couples, Hero and Claudio and Beatrice and Benedick, who seek true love despite the machinations of the villain Don John via "Nothing" (rumor, innuendo, gossip), but with the help of the intrepid neighborhood watch, led by the hapless Dogberry.

These days, so much revisionist Shakespeare attempts to decentralize the main protagonists, to invent agency for repressed characters, to change the play to convey an intended message. But we’re going to see what we get when we see and hear different people, modern people, take over the positions, intents, and language of these characters.  What happens when Much Ado About Nothing is set in 2024?  What if the traditional gender roles are scrambled - Beatrice and Benedick, Leonato as Leonora, Borachio and Francis?  What if an inclusive society is portrayed in any and all characters and their personalities?  In this way, we aim to present a 21st Century Shakespeare for Our Times, without losing what makes Shakespeare - Shakespeare.

Performances will be at 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday afternoons at John Hinkel Park Amphitheatre, 41 Somerset Pl., Berkeley, CA 94707, from June 29th through July 14th plus Independence Day, Thursday, July 4th.

With: Marc Berman (Antonio), David Cesari (John), Mark Goldman (Verges), Greg Gutting (Pedro), Illan F. Halpern (Benedick), Winter Johnson (Conrade), Joan Legaspi (Balthasar), Flannery Mays (Hero), Liam Monaghan (Claudio), Erin K. Perry (Ursula), Virginia Poole (Margaret), Michele Sanner (Borachio), Francis Serpa (Frances), Samira Sheahan (Leonara), Jeff Trescott (Dogberry) and Skyler Wuolle (Beatrice).

Costumes by Lyre Alsyon, Set Design by Kirsten Yamaguchi, props by Susan Dunn, music by Pietro D'Amato, crew Abby Hirobe and Ana Nogueira.

The production lasts about two hours, including a short intermission where hot dogs, veggie dogs, and corn-on-the-cob will be available.  More information about the amphitheater and transportation options is at the end of this email.

And don't miss our second production of  our summer season, Moliere's  The  Imaginary Invalid, directed by Jay Manley, opening August 24th, more information on our website.

Much Ado About Nothing
by Wiliam Shakespeare
directed by Glenn Havlan
adapted by Glenn Havlan and Gaby Schneider
produced by Actors Ensemble of Berkeley
4 p.m. Weekends June 29th - July 14th plus Thursday, July 4th.
John Hinkel Park Amphitheatre
41 Somerset Pl.,  Berkeley, CA 94707.
Free, reservations encouraged but not necessary
www.aeofberkeley.org

Actors Ensemble
P.O. Box 663
Berkeley, CA 94701
in...@aeofberkeley.org
www.aeofberkeley.org
510-649-5999
A 501(3)(c) organization

About John Hinkel Park Amphitheater

John Hinkel Park Amphitheatre is at 41 Somerset Pl., Berkeley, CA 94707.  Access is via Arlington Avenue, turn right on Southampton, then continue straight onto Somerset.  Note that Google Maps will direct you to locations at the top of the park along San Diego Road - quite a hike down.  There is very limited parking at the amphitheatre, due to the addition of a playground which swallowed up most of the existing parking.  There is some parking along Arlington, Somerset, Southhampton, and San Diego Road - we encourage folks to ride bicycles or use ride services.  The closest BART station is the North Berkeley BART.  The #7 AC Transit bus stops right at the corner of Arlington and Southampton.

The amphitheatre seats well over 300 people and consists of a series of stone steps. Low lawnchairs are acceptable, or bring pillows and/or blankets.  The amphitheatre is wheelchair accessible with 5 spot, s for wheelchairs or those who cannot climb steps and need a special chair, and 8 benches for wheelchair companions or folks who cannot climb ysteps but can sit on benches , all at ground level - please make a reservation so we can reserve these spots.  In addition, for those with limited mobility we will reserve places in the first few rows, which requires climbing a few steps (there are railings).  No chairs are provided, please bring your own and/or pillows/blankets.  For all others, we encourage you to make a reservation (and make a donation!) so we have some idea of who is coming (helps to plan concessions), but seats are on a first-come/first-served basis.   There a single handicap parking spot close to the amphitheatre and some additional spots along Somerset which are reasonably accessible for wheelchairs - we encourage folks to be dropped off.

Click to view this email in a browser

Actors Ensemble of Berkeley
P.O. Box 663
Berkeley, California 94701
US

Non-Profits Email Free with VerticalResponse!