Wot? Another session idea?

Stuart Harrison

Jun 18, 2009, 5:49:04 PM6/18/09
to localg...@googlegroups.com
I've been thinking today and I think a session on engaging online
would be really useful. Our comms team have a very strict approvals
process when it comes to sending press releases and statements, but
with the 'always on' nature of the Internet and replies expected
immediately how do we deal with this? Obviously going through a
lengthy approvals process for every tweet, blog reply and forum post
isn't practical. Opinions?

O'Dea Sharon

Jun 19, 2009, 3:46:01 AM6/19/09
to localg...@googlegroups.com
Great session idea! Integrating social media with existing communications processes and systems is likely to prove a bit of a battleground for local government communicators.

Given the immediacy of social media campaigns councils need to think carefully about their ability to turn around communications quickly. Local authorities traditionally take a very cautious line towards communications, often with many levels of sign-off and turnaround times for press releases measured in days rather than minutes. Changing that culture is likely to be a difficult and probably unpopular process.

As you say, seeking approval on every Tweet or blog reply just isn't practical. In practice I think we'll need to start signing off a 'lines to take' document on topics and trust people to get on with it.

But losing control of the message isn't something many members or senior officers will be keen on.
This email and the information it contains are confidential and intended solely for the exclusive use of the individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, this email should not be copied, forwarded, or printed for any purpose, or the contents disclosed to any other person. If you have received this email in error, please notify the London Borough of Sutton immediately on +44(020) 8770 5000 or email ITsec...@sutton.gov.uk and then delete the email.

Although the London Borough of Sutton operates anti-virus programmes, it does not accept any responsibility for any damage whatsoever that
is caused by viruses being passed.

This message has been scanned for malware.
winmail.dat