OpenStreetMap

Adrian McEwen

Jul 2, 2009, 4:46:38 PM7/2/09
to localg...@googlegroups.com
Evening all,

I don't want to detract from the excellent news about the next LocalGov
event, but as I've been heckling a little from the sidelines on twitter
this afternoon I thought I'd post some more info here :-)

I couldn't make it along to LocalGovCamp, and it feels a bit rude for my
first contribution to be a shameless plug for something. So, I'm sorry
about that, but I don't have any link to the OpenStreetMap (OSM) project
other than using it and contributing data to improve it.

OpenStreetMap <http://www.openstreetmap.org> is a user-generated map of
the world, a bit like the Wikipedia of maps. It does most of the things
that you can do with Google Maps, but can do a few other things that
Google can't.

All of the map data is licensed under Creative Commons, so you're free
to reuse and remix it as you wish. And because the underlying data for
the map is freely available, you can do things like:

* Generate different views of the map. For example, there's the cycle
map view <http://www.opencyclemap.org> which de-emphasises features like
motorways, makes the National Cycle Network routes more prominent, and
includes contour lines so you can work out where the hills are.
* The data is also used to provide a route planning service for bikes -
Cycle Streets <http://www.cyclestreets.net>
* And it was also used for the excellent Sutton Green Map
<http://map.oneplanetsutton.org/>, which mashes up public transport,
local places of interest, planning and council (fix my street) issues
with the OSM.

<shameless plug ends>

Unless anyone wants to know more about any of it :-)

Cheers,

Adrian.

--
http://www.mcqn.net/mcfilter
http://twitter.com/amcewen

Rob Styles

Jul 2, 2009, 4:50:41 PM7/2/09
to localg...@googlegroups.com
no shame required, that's not a sales pitch, and OSM is a great mapping solution.

rob
--
Rob Styles
http://dynamicorange.com

Nick Booth

Jul 2, 2009, 4:53:58 PM7/2/09
to localg...@googlegroups.com

I am with Rob on this - you can plug that achievement till the cows
come home.

Nick