Thesis Presentation by James Rushing on IMO4

lyn howe

Sep 2, 2015, 3:14:55 PM9/2/15
to Drake Weinert
you may already know about this but if not it might be of interst to you, might be something to discuss at the conference

Best
Lyn

Sep 2, 2015, 6:56:50 PM9/2/15
to local...@googlegroups.com
thanks for sharing this information.
Randall S. Akao
Agricultural Manager
W.H. Shipman, Limited

Josiah Hunt

Sep 2, 2015, 8:37:29 PM9/2/15
to local...@googlegroups.com, James Rushing
This appears as though it will be a hot topic in this group.  But I am not sure if I have it all right.

To sum this up, the last sentence of the thesis abstract states:

"Due to the lack of effect IMO 4 applications have on plant growth and the absence of significant improvement to plant production, organic matter amendment applications in the form of composts and mulch are recommended."

Let me get this into laymen's terms - IMO 4 (an inoculated form of organic matter) did not work better than other forms of organic matter, in fact it did worse.  Therefore, don't bother with IMO 4, just regular old compost or mulch works better.

Is that about right?

I am sure that in the details of the project there is much more information of value, but just on taking the face value of the abstract, it appears that for this study no redeeming values were found by the author to justify the use of IMO 4 amendments.

I am sure there will be some interesting discussions to follow.

A great follow up research project might be:

Production parameters of IMO 4 and their effect on the absence or abundance of mycorrhizal fungi.

Best regards,

--
Josiah Hunt
Director | Pacific Biochar

September 2, 2015 at 12:56 PM
thanks for sharing this information.
Randall S. Akao
Agricultural Manager
W.H. Shipman, Limited

September 2, 2015 at 9:11 AM

Kim

Sep 5, 2015, 8:40:48 PM9/5/15
to local...@googlegroups.com, James Rushing, drake, Josiah Hunt
Aloha Ka Kou,
When we use IMO4 for soil foundation
First we put IMO4
Add biochar then soak it with soil treatment solution.
Wait one week then apply SOS(soil treatment solution) again.
Waite one more week then ready to plant.

If you miss these step may not work.

Also when we make mixed compost with IMO4
We add Natural Farming inputs.

If you do not know KNF system please do not included with your experiment.

Thank you, Kim
Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 2, 2015, at 2:37 PM, Josiah Hunt <josia...@me.com> wrote:

[...]

<compose-unknown-contact.jpg>