May '22 Meeting recap

Justin Gerharter

May 13, 2022, 12:01:30 PM5/13/22
to local40...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to everyone that came out last night in spite of the threat of severe weather. We powered through a table full of growlers, bottles and a crockpot full of chicken wings. Some of the standout beers in my opinion were Chuck's dry irish stout, Matty B's Buffalo Sweat clone and Kurt's 12-pack of Busch Light. On to the recap...
  • Financials - We have money. The shipping on the Member glassware was more than we expected so we have less money than we had planned a month ago. But the dimple mugs are pretty sweet so it was worth it. Plan on attending a future meeting so you can get your glass.
  • 2022 club apparel order - Consensus settled on zip-up hoodies. John was going to check if the vendor that we get our t-shirts from offers sweatshirts.
  • Competition & Festivals Updates
    • Nebraska Shootout - Club judging will be around the time of the July meeting. Still time to sign-up and get the beers brewed. Sign-Up Here
    • I-80 Challenge - Q2 club judging will happen at the June meeting - get those Pale Ales and Saisons brewed up. Sign-Up Here
    • Benson Beerfest - Sign Up Here - Going to assume that Tom or Chris are going to take point on the tap boxes and equipment for this festival. I have one of the drip trays if that is needed.
    • The Nebraska State Fair Beer and Wine categories are back. Deadline for entries is 7/21. More Info Here.
  • Beer Camp - The August meeting will be the exchange. Don't forget about the contest for best label. Time to let those creative juices flow! Sign Up Here
  • Solera Barrel Pull - The pull and refill has happened. Some of this first pull will be at Benson. Chris was kind enough to brew an extra 5 gallons and Tom did "Tom things" to it for a Lemon Bar Sour. Sounds tasty.
  • Social event - we didn't discuss this...but we'll have another social event this summer sometime.
  • Barrel Projects - The English Barlywine has been sitting in barrel for 15+ months now (filled late January '21). Time to get a taste and start thinking about an empty date. The Wee Heavy has been in its barrel for just about a year now and needs to be tasted as well.
  • Clone Wars: Oskar Blues - We decided that the October meeting is when we will do battle. Look for a sign-up and recipe repository to be shared soon. We'll also have gift cards for the People's Choice and Nice Try attempts to encourage participation.
  • Brewdowns - C-Lark won the battle of Ordinary Bitters over Chuck. Chuck had to face the reality that hot streaks don't last forever.
    • July - Greg Palmer vs Kurt Vinopal - Category 8 - Dark European Lager
    • June Reminder - Scott Schemahorn vs Mark Milne - Saison or Pale Ale
  • June Meeting will be at Chris Proulx's house
Keep those fermenters full,
JG

Bryan Dort

May 13, 2022, 12:06:02 PM5/13/22
to local40...@googlegroups.com
Big thanks to JG and Amy for hosting! Wings were tasty!

Matthew Brown

May 13, 2022, 11:27:41 PM5/13/22
to local40...@googlegroups.com
I just wanted to make sure that for the I80 challenge that American pale beer means anything in the BJCP category 1?  I'm planning on bringing an American Wheat in June.

Bryan Dort

May 14, 2022, 12:19:52 AM5/14/22
to local40...@googlegroups.com
Believe it’s just American Pale Ale.

Tom Mendick

May 14, 2022, 8:45:48 AM5/14/22
to local40...@googlegroups.com
Bryan is correct, June is American Pale Ale 18B.
Save the American Wheat for Shootout in July.

Matthew Brown

May 14, 2022, 4:33:57 PM5/14/22
to local40...@googlegroups.com
Cool.  I won't be able to bring something for the June one but I'll bring an American Wheat and American Lager to the July comp.