Lagering and bottling

Matthew Brown

Aug 29, 2022, 6:39:17 PM8/29/22
to local40...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I am going to be brewing an Oktoberfest soon and I will be bottling the beer as I don't have a setup for kegging yet.  Should I lager the beer in a secondary fermenter first or bottle the beer and then lager it after it has bottle conditioned?  Just asking if anyone has experience with this.

Thanks,

Matthew

Mitchel Jensen

Aug 29, 2022, 6:47:16 PM8/29/22
to local40...@googlegroups.com
I thought the last time we talked you bought a freezer for kegs or are you lacking the gas and/or kegs?

Mitchel Jensen

Aug 29, 2022, 7:03:30 PM8/29/22
to local40...@googlegroups.com
To at least answer your question. In my opinion you should bottle, then let sit at room temp, and then refrigerate. That way you don't have to re-pitch yeast to carbonate the bottles.

Matthew Brown

Aug 29, 2022, 9:38:30 PM8/29/22
to local40...@googlegroups.com
I dont have kegs or gas yet.  Still bottling.  That's what I was thinking.

Tom Mendick

Aug 30, 2022, 1:50:11 PM8/30/22
to local40...@googlegroups.com
Make sure you do a good diacetyl rest and let the beer finish completely. Then bottle and "lager" once they are carbonated.
There really isn't much of a difference, in my opinion, between lagering before or after bottling. I just find it easier to store the bottles/keg in the fridge than to tie up a fermenter for the extra time.
I wouldn't worry too much about needing to repitch if you decide to lager in the fermenter if you decided to go that route, assuming you're not lagering for multiple months after primary fermentation is complete.

Ben Drews

Aug 30, 2022, 2:47:06 PM8/30/22
to local40...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn’t recommend moving to a secondary fermenter either, but maybe that’s just my laziness.

Matthew Brown

Aug 30, 2022, 6:42:14 PM8/30/22
to local40...@googlegroups.com
Ok.  These were the ideas I had.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy.

Thanks everyone.