July '22 meeting recap

Justin Gerharter

Jul 15, 2022, 1:49:04 PM7/15/22
to local40...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to Tom for hosting last night and for providing the delicious buffalo chicken dip. We had a smaller group than usual but still had plenty of tasty beer and great conversation. Tom's education topic on bottling for competition was full of great tips. Mitchell professed his love of parti-gyle brewing and Matty B shared that he likes to brew nearly naked. Things got a little weird. On to the recap...
  • Financial update - Justin C. was camping in the Black Hills but said we still have money.
  • Competition & Festivals Updates
    • Nebraska Shootout - pre-judging on 7/19 @ Tom's house at 7PM, Competition judging on 7/30 at Monolithic.
      • If you want to judge or get some exposure to judging, plan on being at Tom's house on Tuesday. If you want to judge or steward for the competition on 7/30 - Sign-up here
    • Lagerfest - 7/23 - It sounds like the 402s will be the only homebrew club at the festival. Right now we just have Dort signed up to pour and Derek Babb and Chuck Roth have volunteered to help.
    • Brew Haha - 9/8 - Sign-up here - Most think this is the best event of the year (It is). The food alone is worth brewing a beer for this festival.
    • NE State Fair - Entry deadline is 7/21, judging 8/13 - More info here
    • Sowers Cup - Registration opens on 8/8 - More info here. This is a great local competition with a local drop-off for entries ($ saver). This will also provide another opportunity to judge in October for anyone that is interested.
  • Beer Camp/August meeting and cookout - Sign-up here - The August meeting will NOT be on the second Thursday of the month. It will be on Saturday, 8/13 at C-Lark's house. This is our family friendly meeting where families are invited. We don't run through normal business so it's basically a social event with a brewdown and label judging competitions. Realistically there are only a few more days to sign up for the beer exchange to have enough time to get the beer finished and packaged. Sign-ups for the exchange will be locked on 7/20.
  • Club Social - Monolithic Brewing - 7/30 at 3PM (post Nebraska Shootout judging for the awards) - COME CHEER ON THE CLUB and drink some great beer from our Monolithic friends.
  • Clone Wars: Oskar Blues - Sign-up here - Reminder that the winner will receive a $25 gift card to Patriot. Get signed up. There is a link to the recipe repo on the sign-up sheet. Entries are not limited to what recipes are in the repo. If there is a different Oskar Blues beer you'd like to attempt to clone you're encouraged to sign-up.
  • September meeting location - need a volunteer - will be on the 3rd Thursday of the month (9/15) due to Brew HaHa.
  • I-80 Battle with the Lincoln Lagers - Q3 battle is quickly approaching. We currently have eight Vienna Lagers and three Ciders signed-up.
  • Brewdowns:
    • July Brewdown - Kurt won an uncontested dual with a delicious Schwarzbier. His beer would have been tough to beat even if it had been contested . Well done, Kurt!
    • August Reminder - Bryan Dort vs. Matt Misfeldt - Category 20 - American Porter and Stout
    • September Drawing - Justin Gerharter vs. Chris Proulx - a double banger - Category 7A: Vienna Lagers and Category C: Ciders
That's all for this month. Keep those fermenters full!

JG

Matthew Brown

Jul 15, 2022, 9:18:29 PM7/15/22
to local40...@googlegroups.com
I wear shoes guys.  Comon.  Safety first!

Chuck Roth

Jul 22, 2022, 11:05:48 AM7/22/22
to local40...@googlegroups.com
Dort please let me know what time you plan on setting up tomorrow and if you need anything. Thanks, Chuck

Sent from my iPhone