June '22 meeting recap

Justin Gerharter

Jun 10, 2022, 12:32:29 PM6/10/22
to local40...@googlegroups.com
Brewers - Thanks to all who showed up last night and special thanks to Chris for hosting. He had some great food off the smoker for us to eat and pulled some nice commercial beer out of his fridge to share. We also had another strong table of growlers from the group. With Beercamp just around the corner, I think Chuck may have been flexing on us by bringing his 2021 Beercamp winning Kolsch. Josh's Flanders and Tom's Limoncello from the Solera barrel are a couple of other beers that stood out. On to the recap...

  • Financial update - Club purchase: we've bought a CO2 regulator for festivals. A few more dimpled mugs were also handed out.
  • 2022 club apparel order update - no update on this
  • Competition & Festivals Updates
    • Lagerfest - 7/23 in Stinson Park. Sign Up Here
    • Brew Haha - 9/8 in Sterling Ridge. Sign Up Here
    • Nebraska Shootout - Entries are due at the July meeting. Club judging will take place the following week. If you have any desire to start judging, this will be a great opportunity. You'll be paired with an experienced judge in the club to help you with the process.
    • NE State Fair - More info here
    • I-80 Challenge - Saisons: Scott Schemahorn and Tom Mendick will represent us on Sunday. American Pale Ale: Tom Mendick and Justin Gerharter will represent us on Sunday. Judging is at Boiler Brewing in Lincoln (downtown location) at 12:30pm if you have any interest in attending or judging.
  • Beer Camp - August meeting and cookout - Sign Up Here
  • Social event - We skipped this topic but have discussed having a get together on the last weekend of June. An email will be sent out if we decide to make this a reality.
  • Barrel Projects - Both of the barrels at Enfield's will be emptied on 6/26 at 4:30PM - if you were involved in filling the barrels, plan on being there with a keg or get a keg to someone that will be there.
  • Clone Wars: Oskar Blues - I found what I could from Brew Your Own and put them on the Club Google Drive - If anyone has additional recipes, please add them. These beers will be sampled against the commercial beer at the October meeting. People's choice for the best clone will get a gift card to Patriot Homebrew Supply.
  • July meeting location - Tom volunteered to host in July.
  • Brewdowns - Scott and Mark went head to head with Saisons. Scott's super saison ended up victorious. Both were delicious and worthy competitors
    • July Reminder - Greg Palmer vs Kurt Vinopal - Category 8 - Dark European Lager
    • August Drawing - Bryan Dort vs. Matt Misfeldt - Category 20 - American Porter and Stout
Keep those fermenters full! (Unless the beer is for the Shootout - then start thinking about emptying them)

JG