Behind the scenes, This Sunday, & Upcoming

Lisa Gill

Jul 12, 2011, 2:57:52 AM7/12/11
to Local Poets Guild Google Group
Hi Everyone,
July is an intense month for me healthwise, so I've been working mostly behind the scenes. Nonetheless, Local Poets Guild has lots of news.

First I wanted to let you know that Anne Valley-Fox and Don McIver will be talking craft for P(EAR): Poetics and Poems this Sunday July 17th at 3:00 at Acequia Booksellers 4019-4th St. NW. Anne Valley Fox is the author of Point of No Return and How Shadows are Bundled. While she addresses concerns of poetry on the page, Don will be addressing the spoken word. He writes:
Spoken Word--Literary Art?
Q:  What do George Carlin, Barack Obama, Patricia Smith, Sherman Alexie, Baxter Black, and Snoop Dogg have in common?
A:  They are all practitioners of an art form, an art form called Spoken Word.   Using audio samples, I will explore  the ways we can approach and understand this form and why is it important that it is recognized as its own art form.   And is it it's own art form?   And does it matter?

East of Edith open mic  continues with a different host every Monday night at 7:00 pm at the Projects 3614 High Street NE. Thanks to D. Koy and Jennifer Krohn who've already hosted nights. Next Monday is hosted by Jules Nyquist and the following Monday by Rich Boucher. The open mic continues to thrive and grow and we invite you to come out and read and listen. Come September, we'll add a twenty-minute feature each week. I'm looking forward to that.

The Roost starts in August and runs every Sunday night all the way through September. Each creative music show is opened by a different poet. Thanks to Mark Weaver for inviting Local Poets Guild to collaborate. By Sunday, I'm going to release a broadside showcasing some of the poets we'll feature.... including Sari Krosinsky and Brendan Constantine and many more... for the music line-up see http://www.theroostabq.com/

Then, in September, Local Poets Guild is collaborating with George Anne Gregory of Ho Anumpoli to host a Celebration of Threatened Languages at Globalquerque. We've confirmed Okinawan, Hawaiian, Navajo, American Sign Language and Sesotho. Our part will take place during the free daytime Global Fiesta.

We also have collaborations forthcoming with Church of Beethoven for October as well as a micro-slam in December. And we're working with Gary Jackson and Hakim Bellamy and 516 ARTS to plan a very exciting 516 Words reading related to a forthcoming superheroes exhibit for Halloween weekend. More on all of this will be forthcoming soon on our blog http://localpoetsguild.wordpress.com .

I also want to let you know that ISEA 2012: Machine Wilderness (International Symposium of Electronic Art) which is being coordinated by 516 ARTS for Albuquerque next summer has launched its website--which includes a call for entries a residency sponsored by Local Poets Guild. In August 2012 we'll be offering a $400 stipend, a 516 Words Reading, and two-week residency for a poet working on an electronic poetry project for the internet. For more, see Apply, Special projects/Residencies, E-Poetry Residency. I believe we are the only people offering any awards for writers. Very proud of participating in this. See http://www.isea2012.org/

I'm also hosting a panel discussion on "the Art and Practice of Resilience" for the Albuquerque Cultural Conference August 27th. Many many people are involved in this intensive weekend, including Margaret Randall, Brian Hendrickson, and Don McIver who will also lead panels. Confirmed guests also include Cherrie Moraga!!! And many more. See http://www.albuquerqueculturalconference.org/Albuquerque_Cultural_Conference/Home.html

In the very background, I'm plugging away on paperwork, learning the ropes of a nonprofit.

Thanks everyone for being dedicated and beautiful in the community!!! A special shout-out goes to Andrea Serrano who launched Speak, Poet! a new monthly open mic and feature last month. Looks like the next one will be August 4th... I'll announce details on the website as they come in.

Oh and let me close by thanking all my board members, but especially Susan McAllister who's helped me a ton this week!!!

Regards,

Lisa Gill
Artistic Director
Local Poets Guild