Ticket Giveaway and 2 More LPG events

Lisa Gill

Jun 10, 2011, 4:43:42 AM6/10/11
to Local Poets Guild Google Group
Hi Friends,
We just had a beautiful Triptych this evening with Sarah McKinstry-Brown, Jasmine Cuffee, and Sari Krosinsky. Kudos for fine and distinctive and compelling performances all around, and thanks to everyone who came out and made it a beautiful night. So I just have a few things I want to make sure you are aware of for the rest of the month.

***COMMUNITY NEWS***
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Adobe Walls is reading. Kenneth Gurney really wants to hear from you, preferably before June 23rd. See this link for info: http://localpoetsguild.wordpress.com/2011/06/04/adobe-walls-is-reading-now/

A SHOW NOT TO MISS
Urban Verbs, a multimedia production by Hakim Bellamy, Carlos Contreras, and Diles is about to launch another run of the production next weekend June 17,18, 19. This is big news and I hope many many people in our community pack the house on Friday and Saturday. Sunday is a special youth day. For general information see: http://localpoetsguild.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/urban-verbs-is-coming-and-tix-giveaway-soon/

THE TIX GIVEAWAY!!!!!
Local Poets Guild is lucky and honored and happy to be able to give away 10 tickets for Urban Verbs. As you'll see in my write-up, I believe this show is not only a blast to watch but also good for the whole community: a call to arts activism and a celebration of collaboration and interdisciplinary work, not to mention music and hip-hop. To find out how to write your way into saving $12 and catching a really fine show June 17th, see http://localpoetsguild.wordpress.com/2011/06/10/lift-your-hands-lift-your-pens-get-tix/

***AND TWO MORE LOCAL POETS GUILD EVENTS THIS MONTH***
June 19th Stewart Warren will be leading a writing for nonviolence workshop at 3pm in the afternoon in a classroom in downtown albuquerque. RSVP to localpo...@yahoo.com to reserve a spot. Space is limited. For more information on Stewart see this link http://localpoetsguild.wordpress.com/abq-poets/stewart-s-warren/ He'll be sending out a mailing with more info soon.

June 26th P(EAR): Poetics and Poems at 3:00pm at Acequia Booksellers 4019-4th ST. NW featuring craft talks by John Survivor Blake and myself.  You know me and my work, at least a little bit, but you may not be familiar with John Survivor Blake who is a new addition to our community --and we're really lucky to have him here in Albuquerque. He's already hard at work teaching poetry to youth at Warehouse 508 and in the juvenile detention center in Santa Fe. Here's a snippet of his bio and the smallest taste of his resilient spirit:

...John Survivor Blake will downplay being born addicted to heroin and alcohol or enduring poverty in the Baruch Housing Projects on the lower east side of Manhattan at the hands of chemically addicted parents. He believes his biracial experiences have enabled him to understand two sides of a cultural sword. He will say that spending his adolescence visiting his mother in prison was some sort of divine intervention in order that he find his own strengths. Truthfully, John “Survivor” Blake has beaten more than odds. A recovering addict and alcoholic, he has managed to not only graduate high school and enroll in college, but has also shared performance stages with the likes of Patricia Smith, Saul Williams, Tara Hardy, Amiri Baraka, Suheir Hammad, Taylor Mali, and many, many other great writers. He has toured the United States. He’s facilitated writing and performance workshops as well as lectured at many universities as Columbia, Drury, and Virginia Tech. He’s done this because he believes poetry saved his life and he will tell you that he is simply making his life one gigantic Thank You card. .

I'm really honored to be reading with him and think it's going to be a fun set and hope you'll join us.

That's it for now. Don't forget to write in for the Tix Giveaway for URBAN VERBS  (Link to info above) and keep checking the blog for more updates. See you soon.

Regards,

Lisa Gill
Artistic Director
Local Poets Guild