Only two EoE left this season and two outreach!!!

Lisa Gill

Nov 2, 2012, 5:08:54 PM11/2/12
to Local Poets Guild Google Group
Hi Everyone,
Wanted to give you the Local Poets Guild run down. We only have two more events in the space before we close the venue to try to do some work and try to procure heat. There are also two other outreach events I want to let you know about, one of mine in Santa Fe, and one at 516 ARTS.

2:00 pm Sunday November 4th--Lisa Gill reads contemplative work in conjunction with Compassion Rising, a film about Thomas Merton and the Dalai Lama at the New Mexico History Museum Auditorium on the grounds for the Palace of the Governors in Santa Fe. Free. (For Lisa, this also marks the 10th anniversary since La Alameda's publication of Red as a Lotus: Letters to a Dead Trappist, and welcomes a new edition of the book, which had sold out and was out of print for a couple years.)

7:00pm Monday November 5th--East of Edith celebrates Guy Fawkes Day Celebration & Other Timely Considerations at the Projects (3614 High Street NE) with music by The Third Ear (Mike Balistreri on bass and Mark Weaver on tuba), as well as a featured reading from Tony Mares who has a beautiful new series to the fallen angel statues. You'll also have the opportunity to try some poetry with music on the open mic if you like, plus a couple small coordinated segments, and hopefully one impromptu conducted group piece, perhaps of James Tate's "Manna" (everyone working with one text)... and usual also. Donations welcomed.

3:00 pm Saturday November 10th at 516 ARTS, the museum style gallery at Central and 6th, we offer QUIET MACHINE, WILD MOUTH, another incarnation of 516 Words. Working with the theme of the intersection of technology and nature, we're giving you a medley of short videos by Bryan Konefsky and the Brahamian Intelligence Service of the Netherlands (courtesy our E-Poetry Resident Andreas Maria Jacobs of the Netherlands), a short "Silent Open Mic" with projections of poems curated by Sari Krosinsky who will also be celebrating the release of her new book, God- Chaser, cameos Nate Maxson, Richard Oyama, Miriam Sagan, plus Lisa Gill and Mitch Rayes celebrating their work with John Davis on his public art  wind/poetry/sculpture, and a bit more from Mitch who will address what he witnessed of the intersection of technology with the Lacandon Indians in the Chiapas jungle. Come early--or stay late--to check out the exhibition also.

7:00pm Monday November 12th East of Edith is gonna celebrate Sor Juana's birthday at the Projects (3614 High Street NE) with some extended readings of her work, plus the regular open mic and a feature by Levi Romero. This event will also be a fundraiser to help support the hero of this poetry space (and person who has offered years of literary service), Mitch Rayes. More on that privately, but donations will be gathered.

Thanks again for another beautiful season. Hope you can join us for our final open mics and outreach events... and I'll be running some smaller reading groups in the projects secret living room December and January--plus scrounging about to see if I can finagle heat for open mics by 2013 also. And we'll be doing some happy celebrations and giveaways courtesy La Alameda late November (daytime weekend) also. And you can keep catching Don McIver's programming as he continues our work with Church of Beethoven/Chatter. More when I know more.

Happy Winter, Happy Words,

lg

Lisa Gill
Poet and Author
Local Poets Guild Founder/Executive Director
PO BOX 27686 *changed address*
Albuquerque, NM 87125
http://localpoetsguild.wordpress.com
neararte...@yahoo.com