"ERROR: No read groups found" when running allelotype

Yen Lung Lin

Dec 11, 2019, 6:30:42 PM12/11/19
to lobSTR user group
Hi,

I am trying to run the allelotype lobSTR_4.0.6 on a hg38 bam file generated with BWA_MEM.
I used the command suggested in the documentation:
allelotype \
   --command classify \
   --bam my_sample_output.sorted.bam \
   --index-prefix hg19_v3.0.2/lobstr_v3.0.2_hg19_ref/lobSTR_ \
   --strinfo hg19_v3.0.2/lobstr_v3.0.2_hg19_strinfo.tab \
   --noise_model models/illumina_v3.pcrfree \
   --out my_sample_output
The bam file was aligned earlier using BWA-MEM. The index and strinfo were built by me using data downloaded from the Tandem Repeat Database. The noise_model was the same as the example.
I received the error message "ERROR: No read groups found".

I also try to add the --realign flag but nothing change. I am wondering if someone knows what happens? Thanks in advance.

Yen Lung Lin

Dec 16, 2019, 1:12:49 PM12/16/19
to lobSTR user group
I am here to provide more information regarding this error:
I can see the @RG from the header of my input bam file. I am wondering if the error message has anything to do with the bam file itself or not?

Melissa Gymrek

Dec 23, 2019, 11:35:05 AM12/23/19
to lobstr-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yen,

First, lobSTR has not been maintained in a while, so I highly recommend you use HipSTR instead: https://github.com/tfwillems/HipSTR.

For this error, it's possible to have a @RG tag in the header but the individual reads might not be annotated with read groups. In any case I think it best to use HipSTR.

Best,
~Melissa

Yen-Lung "Onta" Lin

Dec 27, 2019, 10:42:05 AM12/27/19
to lobstr-u...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your answer. I have been realigning the BAM file to ensure the RG flag meets the requirement. It works though it's computational expensive. I will go try HipSTR as you recommended.

Best,
Onta

Brendan Kohrn

Dec 27, 2019, 3:36:03 PM12/27/19
to lobstr-u...@googlegroups.com
If all the reads are the same readgroup, you could use AddOrReplaceReadgroups from Picard tools ( https://broadinstitute.github.io/picard/) or GATK ( https://software.broadinstitute.org/gatk/documentation/tooldocs/4.0.0.0/picard_sam_AddOrReplaceReadGroups.php); that might be less computationally expensive.