Clusterworx doesn't like the kernel image

a2

Feb 26, 2011, 12:17:09 PM2/26/11
to Linux Networx Users Group
Hello,

I'm trying to use a kernel image compiled for Oracle Enterprise Linux
5 with Clusterworx, but it won't get recognized.

Error running: mkelfImage
--kernel=/opt/cwx/imaging/root/tmp/kernels/mykernel/kernel
--output=/opt/cwx/provisioning/cache/mykernel----.ebi
--initrd=/opt/cwx/imaging/root/tmp/images/mykernel.ram.gz
--append=root=/dev/ram0 console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200
ramdisk_blocksize=1024 ramdisk_size=65536 init=/linuxrc
host001:/opt/cwx/imaging/root/images/mykernel #

when I do a "file /boot/vmlinuz" in OEL5, I get the following:

/boot/vmlinuz: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, AMD x86-64, version 1,
stripped

however, if I do the same with a vmlinuz file that clusterworx like, I
get:

/boot/vmlinuz: Linux/x86 Kernel, Setup Version 0x20a, bzImage, Version
2.6.37, Version 2.6.37-40, RO-rootFS, root_dev 0x301, swap_dev 0x4,
Normal VGA

I tried to manually compile the Oracle kernel (I think it's the same
as Redhat's) and I cannot find any bootable file (bzImage, vmlinux,
vmlinuz, etc.) in the source tree that gives the desired output.

Is there a way to either compile the kernel in clusterworx format or
to edit clusterworx config to manually add this kernel?

Thanks for any hint you can give me.
A.

Ed Wahl

Mar 2, 2011, 9:06:57 PM3/2/11
to lnx...@googlegroups.com
The error looks pretty straightforward.  You need to create an ELF boot image so clusterworx can use that.
There used to be scripts to do this.  and some (minor) work in coreboot as well.