Installing new kernel

wnowak1

Aug 12, 2011, 5:52:49 PM8/12/11
to Linux Networx Users Group
We have a cluster from Linux Networx from 2007 or so ...

I'd like to update the kernel on one of our login nodes, but I'm not
sure how to go about that. I'm familiar with the process if grub is
installed, but in our case it seems to be using pxe boot and loading
an x-slam file. I've "installed" an updated kernel using up2date and
it can be found in /boot but how do I make that active?

Thanks,

Siekas, Greg

Aug 12, 2011, 6:03:06 PM8/12/11
to lnx...@googlegroups.com
So your login node is attempting to etherboot?
What node in the cluster is running Clusterworx?

If your login node is the cluster master node running Clusterworx, you shouldn't have any issues upgrading the kernel and rebooting provided grub is installed and functioning and you have a valid initrd.

If your login node is provisioned from another server running Clusterworx, then you need to do a bunch of work to update the payload, import the kernel, and update the image used for the login node.

Greg

Thanks,

Wally Nowakowski

Aug 14, 2011, 2:19:34 AM8/14/11
to lnx...@googlegroups.com
Clusterworx runs on our master "Admin Node". That node has grub and I can easily modify which kernel gets booted.

The "Login Node" is provisioned from the Admin Node, so it appears we have to update the payload. I'd like to update the machine, but the documentation I have says to contact Linux Networx support before trying this. The previous administrators did not have the courage to undertake this, but I feel it is time to upgrade. Is the process fairly straightforward? Is it "easy" to rollback in case the new payload does not work?

Thanks,
Wally