Losing my place with toggle-filtering

Paul Long

Aug 29, 2022, 6:10:49 PM8/29/22
to lnav
Seems that when I toggle my filters off, the location is based on the first timestamp that matches the top line before I toggled.  I lose my place as the line I was focused on is gone or somewhere down on the screen.

Is there some way to change this behavior?  Would this require a code change?

Paul

lnav support

Aug 30, 2022, 12:07:17 AM8/30/22
to Paul Long, lnav

Yes, the top line is generally used as the stable point when changes
to the view are made.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the line I was focused on".  Can you
clarify?

Tim

Aug 30, 2022, 9:14:36 AM8/30/22
to lnav
My work flow is to start by limiting noise to see the high-level view; devices starts, shutdowns, and significant events.  This lets me find the time range in question.  Then I'll add more details based on the problem description.  Now I'm focused on a single line, in other tools this means it's selected, but for this case I make it the top line because I know this particular tool uses that instead of a highlight.  Then I toggle filtering off.  The line at the top is no longer at the top.  It jumps down on the page or potentially off the page.  Instead I would like to remain on top because it takes me a while to find it which interrupts my troubleshooting.

I think a simple way to reproduce the issue is to select a log with many timestamps of the same time when filtered.  Then scroll till the last one with the same timestamp is the top line and toggle-filtering.  In my case that top line jumps down and a new top line is appears which happens to be the first log line that matches the previous top line.

I would also add that being able to select a line with a mouse, and then removing a filter while my selected line stays still has the advantage that I can see lines above and below.  I think I understand this is difficult, or perhaps impossible with a console app, but that would the ultimate experience IMO.

Paul

lnav support

Aug 30, 2022, 12:25:38 PM8/30/22
to Paul Long, lnav
My work flow is to start by limiting noise to see the high-level view; devices starts, shutdowns, and significant events.  This lets me find the time range in question.  Then I'll add more details based on the problem description.  Now I'm focused on a single line, in other tools this means it's selected, but for this case I make it the top line because I know this particular tool uses that instead of a highlight.  Then I toggle filtering off.  The line at the top is no longer at the top.  It jumps down on the page or potentially off the page.  Instead I would like to remain on top because it takes me a while to find it which interrupts my troubleshooting.

Press "m" to mark the line at the top that you're focused on.  You can then use
the u/Shift+U hotkeys to move through the marked lines.

In the future, I'll try to make the line stay even when the surrounding timestamps
are the same.

Tim

On Tuesday, August 30, 2022 at 12:07:17 AM UTC-4 lnav support wrote:

Yes, the top line is generally used as the stable point when changes
to the view are made.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the line I was focused on". Can you
clarify?

Tim

Seems that when I toggle my filters off, the location is based on the first timestamp that matches the top line before I toggled. I lose my place as the line I was focused on is gone or somewhere down on the screen.

Is there some way to change this behavior? Would this require a code change?

Paul

Paul Long

Aug 30, 2022, 2:26:10 PM8/30/22
to lnav
Thanks for the tip for marking.  Suppose that helps a little.

BTW, is there anyway to click on a line and make it the top "selected" line?

Thanks, Paul