Fwd: UC Davis Dept. Surgery Pre-Medical Surgical Internship Fall 2012

VP of Undergraduate Relations (Vanessa Diaz)

Jul 11, 2012, 3:37:47 PM7/11/12
to lmsa-west-preh...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: UC Davis Dept of Surgery <in...@premedsurgery.org>
Date: Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 4:55 AM
Subject: UC Davis Dept. Surgery Pre-Medical Surgical Internship Fall 2012
To: VP_Undergrad...@lmsa.net

UC DAVIS DEPARTMENT OF SURGERY Pre-Medical and Surgical Internship & Mentorship Program
Thank you for your interest in the UC Davis Health System Department of Surgery Pre-Medical Surgical Internship & Mentorship Program. This is a unique opportunity open to all pre-medical students to be mentored by faculty, residents, interns, and medical students in the nationally recognized UC Davis Health System Department of Surgery.

This program is open to ALL pre-medical students regardless of year, academic standing, or academic institution. If you are interested in a career in medicine you are eligible to apply!

All undergraduate, graduate, and post-baccalaureate students from all institutions planning on applying to medical school are eligible. This includes community college, CSU, UC, private university, and graduating high school students who are at least 17 years old.

Setting

The site for the program is the UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, CA. This 650-bed hospital is the major teaching affiliate for the UC Davis School of Medicine. The Hospital serves an area of tremendous diversity in both cultural and socioeconomic background. It is a Level 1 Trauma Center, and home to the only burn center, children’s hospital, and transplant center in Northern California. Furthermore, it is the only institution of its kind in Northern California. It is one of the five busiest Trauma Centers in the country and has been featured in multiple television programs. Their focus of service to those most in need underpins the teaching activities in this setting.

The Department of Surgery consists of the following surgical subspecialties:
  • Trauma & Emergency Surgery
  • Cardiothoracic Surgery
  • Gastrointestinal Surgery
  • Bariatric Surgery
  • Neurosurgery
  • General Surgery
  • Burn Surgery
  • Pediatric Surgery
  • Otolaryngology Surgery
  • Plastic Surgery
  • Surgical Oncology
  • Urological Surgery
  • Transplant Surgery
  • Vascular Surgery

Details

This is not a volunteering or shadowing program. This is a mentorship where you will be interacting with multiple physicians in the Department of Surgery. You will be working directly with physicians every step of the way, from seeing patients in the intensive care unit, to pre-operative, post-operative, bedside, trauma bay, operating rooms, clinics, conferences, journal clubs and rounds. You will experience the duties physicians perform on a daily basis. You will be part of the team and regarded as such. This program is under the supervision and guidelines set forth by the Chairman of Surgery at the UC Davis Health System.

This is an extraordinarily unique opportunity. Maturity, attentiveness, and being able to follow directions are imperative. This is a fast-paced environment where life and death are on the line every second of the day. Professionalism and maturity are expected. The surgeons voluntarily participating in this program are enthusiastic about having pre-med interns since they were once pre-medical students. Their goal is to give you the best learning experience possible. So please be respectful of them at all times. Additionally, we ask that you remain flexible and follow their instructions.

Information/Application Support Sessions

Attend any of the following free information sessions to learn more about the program, receive assistance with your application, and ask any questions you may have.

We will also be hosting application support sessions that will help you have a successful application. These session are to assist you in having a successful application and answering questions. Registration is NOT required, and they is no cost. We just like to have successful applicants.

Location:

Educational Building
4610 X Street
Sacramento, CA 95817

June 29th, 2012 (Friday) —- Room 1204
-“Information Session about our Program" from 6:00pm-7:00pm
-“How to be Successful at the Interview" from 7:00pm-8:00pm

June 30th, 2012 (Saturday) —- Room 3225 A+B
-“How to create a successful CV" from 10:00am-11:00am
-“How to be Successful at our Application Process" from 11:00am-12:00pm

July 6th, 2012 (Friday) —- Room 1222
-“How to create a successful CV" from 6:00pm-7:00pm
-“How to be Successful at our Application Process" from 7:00pm-8:00pm

July 7th, 2012 (Saturday) —- Room 1222
-“Information Session about our Program" from 10:00am-11:00am
-“How to be Successful at the Interview" from 11:00am-12:00pm

July 13th, 2012 (Friday) —– Room 1204
-Information Session about our Program" from 6:00pm-7:00pm
-“How to be Successful at the Interview" from 7:00pm-8:00pm

July 14th, 2012 (Saturday) —– Room 1222
-“How to create a successful CV" from 10:00am-11:00am
-“How to be Successful at our Application Process" from 11:00am-12:00pm

For More Information & Application:
www.premedsurgery.org

For Question, please contact:
http://www.premedsurgery.org/contact/

FacebookTwitter

Buy Essential Pre-Med Books!

Great selection of premed books recommended by Deans of Admission from top U.S. medical schools.

Our mailing address is:
AMSA ARC/UCD
Central Receiving
615 Hopkins Road
Davis, CA 95616

Copyright (C) 2012 AMSA ARC/UCD All rights reserved.
Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp

--
Vanessa Diaz
VP of Undergraduate Relations