Pseudo-Voigt FWHM of Gaussian and Lorentian

Kale Letterman

Jul 26, 2022, 5:41:58 AM7/26/22
to lmfit-py
Hi!

Thanks for the package it's working very well!

I was wondering if there is a method of, once I've fitted a PV and gotten the fraction (alpha) and FWHM to calculate the respective FWHM for the Gaussian portion and the Lorentian portion of the PV fit?

Thanks again!

Matt Newville

Jul 26, 2022, 10:42:29 AM7/26/22
to lmfit-py
For a pseudo-Voigt (but also: why use that instead of a real Voigt?), the `sigma` is used for the Lorentzian component, so its FWHM will be 2*sigma.    The Gaussian component uses a sigma_gauss = sigma/sqrt(2*log(2)) so that it will also have the same FWHM.    That is, the two components will have the same FWHM.  This would not be true, in general for a real Voigt function, which better expresses the convolution of a Gaussian and Lorentzian function.