Parameter estimation for ODEs- negative values on covariance diagonal, high values of std error

Garima Singh

Jul 7, 2021, 8:27:21 AM7/7/21
to lmfit-py
Hi,

I am trying to fit a set of two odes using orient from SciPy and lmfit minimise. I get a nice fit, but too high std errors and in many cases, a nan values. This is because of negative value on the diagonal of the covariance matrix.

I would appreciate insights/suggestions in the regard.

Renee Otten

Jul 7, 2021, 9:59:18 AM7/7/21
to lmfi...@googlegroups.com
hi Garima,

us usual, providing a minimal, working example would possibly help to provide a useful answer. From your current question the only thing one can probably say right now is something like “avoid nan values in your model function”.

On Jul 7, 2021, at 8:27 AM, Garima Singh <garima....@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to fit a set of two odes using orient from SciPy and lmfit minimise. I get a nice fit, but too high std errors and in many cases, a nan values. This is because of negative value on the diagonal of the covariance matrix.

I would appreciate insights/suggestions in the regard.

Matt Newville

Jul 7, 2021, 10:10:26 AM7/7/21
to lmfit-py
On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 7:27 AM Garima Singh <garima....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to fit a set of two odes using orient from SciPy and lmfit minimise. I get a nice fit, but too high std errors and in many cases, a nan values. This is because of negative value on the diagonal of the covariance matrix.

How do you get negative values on the diagonal of the covariance matrix?  I don't know how one could interpret variances that are negative.

--Matt