API

Isaac Robinson

Jul 6, 2021, 12:54:06 PM7/6/21
to lmfdb-...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

My name is Isaac and I am a junior at Harvard. I was wondering if your site had an API. If not, are there plans to add one/is that something I could help with? The site is truly a lifesaver and such an impressive achievement!

Thanks,
Isaac

David Lowry-Duda

Jul 7, 2021, 1:24:58 PM7/7/21
to lmfdb-support
Hi Isaac!

My name is Isaac and I am a junior at Harvard. I was wondering if your site had an API. If not, are there plans to add one/is that something I could help with?

The LMFDB has two forms of API. They are available at

The base api's code is more or less a wrapper around certain parts of the underlying database. The code is here: https://github.com/LMFDB/lmfdb/tree/master/lmfdb/api

The second API has some rough spots. There is definitely room for improvement.

The APIs have a funny role. For serious computing, it's probably a good idea to interact directly with the underlying database. The site's search functionality and individual pages carry lots of exploratory information.

- DLD

David Lowry-Duda <davidlowryduda.com>
ICERM & Brown University

Andrew Sutherland

Jul 7, 2021, 1:33:39 PM7/7/21
to lmfdb-support
Hi Isaac,

If you are interested in contributing to LMFDB development (which might include improvements to the api), you are welcome to join us at one of our "LMFDB Friday" coding sprints which take place each Friday afternoon and we can help you get started.

We are currently holding these sessions on Zoom -- feel free to email me directly at if you are interested and I can send you the link (my contact details are available at the link below).

Best,

Andrew Sutherland