Inconsistent number of results for quadratic numberfields

Maarten Derickx

Dec 5, 2021, 8:45:55 AM12/5/21
to lmfdb-support
Hi all,

There seems to be something fishy going on when I try to search the LMFDB for quadratic number fields. I.e., when I ask lmfdb for all quadratic number fields using:
https://www.lmfdb.org/NumberField/?hst=List&degree=2&search_type=List
I get to see: "There are too many results (1369379) to download."
However, when I ask for all number fields with discriminant in a certain huge range:
https://www.lmfdb.org/NumberField/?hst=List&degree=2&discriminant=-1000000000-1000000000&search_type=List
I get to see: "There are too many results (1370383) to download."

I would the expect the second number to be smaller than the first number, but this is not the case.

Anybody an idea what is causing this?

Thanks,
Maarten

David Farmer

Dec 5, 2021, 9:04:16 AM12/5/21
to lmfdb-support

This search is past the range you put, and it is not empty
(90 matches):

https://www.lmfdb.org/NumberField/?hst=List&degree=2&discriminant=1000000000-10000000000&search_type=List

Andrew Sutherland

Dec 5, 2021, 9:12:27 AM12/5/21
to lmfdb-support
It looks like the number field stats are out of date on www.lmfdb.org. I'm not sure how that happened, but I'm refreshing them now.

Andrew Sutherland

Dec 5, 2021, 9:39:44 AM12/5/21
to lmfdb-support
Number field stats on www.lmfdb.org have been refreshed and now correctly lists 1370631 as the number of quadratic fields (which is greater than the 1370383 in the  discriminant range you used).  Thanks for  reporting this Maarten!