Disruptor 4.0 (JDK 9) status?

Rob Puncel

Apr 27, 2018, 5:33:07 PM4/27/18
to Disruptor
Hi,

This post from 2015 mentions that Disruptor v4.0 will be JDK 9 compatible. Since some time has passed, I am wondering on 4.0's status - I don't see any references to it in the Disruptor GitHub issues or README. With Oracle's recent changes to the cadence of Java SE release cycles and support, it seems like JDK 9 migration will need to happen fairly soon for my project.

Are there any approximate dates or status for JDK 9 support that can be shared?

Thanks,
Rob

Michael Barker

Apr 27, 2018, 7:03:35 PM4/27/18
to lmax-di...@googlegroups.com
I was originally going to combine a big API change with the JDK 9 work, but I've decided to roll back from that.  I'll do a 3.5 version which will have the same API, but will use VarHandles instead of Unsafe for handling all of the concurrent operations and handling versioning using a multi-release jar.  I have this working locally, but I've encountered a fair amount of yak-shaving to get it into our build at LMAX.  I'm reluctant to do a full release until it has been through our CI, however if you are interested in seeing an early version and are happy compling from source I could push it to a branch in the github repo.

Mike.

Rob Puncel

Apr 27, 2018, 7:18:25 PM4/27/18
to Disruptor
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply. I would definitely be interested in building from source f you don't mind pushing that branch.

Totally just looking for a ball park guess and not trying to hold you to anything definite, but would you mind throwing out a guess of time frame for 3.5? Like 3 months? 6 months? A year? Just looking for on what time frame to check back.

Thanks!
Rob
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to lmax-disrupto...@googlegroups.com.

Michael Barker

Apr 27, 2018, 7:54:38 PM4/27/18
to lmax-di...@googlegroups.com
3-6 Months would be a reasonable estimate.

fand...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2018, 4:56:28 AM8/9/18
to Disruptor
Hi Mike,

will be the next Disruptor version also compatible with JDK 10 and 11?
Thank you.

Michael Barker

Aug 9, 2018, 4:59:35 AM8/9/18
to lmax-di...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the VarHandles based version should work in situations where access to Unsafe has been removed.

Mike.

Dávid Siro

Nov 12, 2018, 11:27:50 AM11/12/18
to Disruptor
Hi Mike,

do you have any update on 3.5 release? Even indication that it won't happen any time soon (i.e. by the end of 2018) would be helpful.

Dňa štvrtok, 9. augusta 2018 10:59:35 UTC+2 mikeb01 napísal(-a):

Michael Barker

Nov 12, 2018, 2:51:52 PM11/12/18
to lmax-di...@googlegroups.com
Hopefully by the end of 2018, unfortunately to get is all testing in our environment requires updates to a bunch of third party OSS libraries (Jenkins, Ant, Buck) which I'm working through.  Would a preview release be useful.

Mike

Dávid Siro

Nov 13, 2018, 3:08:34 AM11/13/18
to Disruptor
Thanks for swift reply, yes, a preview would be nice.

Dňa pondelok, 12. novembra 2018 20:51:52 UTC+1 mikeb01 napísal(-a):

František Odehnal

Apr 13, 2019, 5:28:05 PM4/13/19
to Disruptor
Hi,

any update about running Disruptor on JDK 9+? It would really help us :-) Thank you

Franta

Michael Barker

Apr 16, 2019, 3:32:07 AM4/16/19
to lmax-di...@googlegroups.com
I'll make a preview version available later this week.

Dmitry Zagorulkin

Apr 17, 2019, 6:02:48 PM4/17/19
to Disruptor
Hi Mike!
What branch should I use to compile from source with javac 11 for testing purposes?

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 11:33:07 PM UTC+2, Rob Puncel wrote:
Hi,

This post from 2015 mentions that Disruptor v4.0 will be JDK 9 compatible. Since some time has passed, I am wondering on 4.0's status - I don't see any references to it in the Disruptor GitHub issues or README. With Oracle's recent changes to the cadence of Java SE release cycles and support, it seems like JDK 9 migration will need to happen fairly soon for my project.

Are there any approximate dates or status for JDK 9 support that can be shared?

Thanks,
Rob

Michael Barker

Apr 18, 2019, 6:15:26 PM4/18/19
to lmax-di...@googlegroups.com
I've just built the current master with jdk 11.03 (Azul Zulu) and it was okay.  The jdk9-varhandles branch has support for a version that doesn't used the Unsafe on JDK 9+.

Mike.

Ondřej Kratochvíl

Feb 7, 2020, 12:38:35 PM2/7/20
to Disruptor
Hi Mike,

I see that the branch `jdk9-varhandles` is not yet merged in the master branch. Is there a plan to do so and support JDK 9+ in official Disruptor releases?

Thank you,
Ondra

orhan yilmaz

Mar 2, 2020, 4:24:36 AM3/2/20
to Disruptor
Hello,
Is this project dead? If so we can fork it and continue its development separately.
Thanks.

Nick Palmer

May 3, 2021, 4:46:40 PM5/3/21
to Disruptor
> Is this project dead?

I suppose it was briefly, but it is now resurrected and work is being done towards a 4.0 release towards the middle of 2021.

The current plan for a 4.0 release is JDK11 minimum requirement (hence the major version hop) with all unsafe uses replaced with VarHandles.
We're also taking the major version number change as a good opportunity to remove anything that has been deprecated and consider what is core to the library.

yilma...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2021, 3:24:12 PM6/1/21
to Disruptor
wow great news.  It's alive
Thanks for all of your efforts.

Indah Chen

Jan 6, 2022, 8:45:05 AM1/6/22
to Disruptor
So.. is the 4.0 released? Can't find any on its github or even here only description of disuptor https://lmax-exchange.github.io/disruptor

Nick Palmer

Jan 6, 2022, 8:47:59 AM1/6/22
to Disruptor
A release candidate for version 4 is now available on Maven Central which had JDK11 as the new minimum version.