[llvm-dev] [GlobalISel] Why GlobalISel does not support big endian ISA?

Sheng Yan Chen via llvm-dev

Nov 24, 2021, 8:21:17 AM11/24/21
to llvm-dev
Hi,

I've searched mailing list for this question and couldn't find helpful information.

My question:

- Why GlobalISel does not support big endian ISA ?
- Which part doesn't support ? IRTranslator ? Legalizer ? Instruction Selector ?
- Will it support big endian in the future ?
- How hard the work will be ? Can rookie like me have the chance to contribute and improve ?

Thanks for reading this question ! Have a nice day !

Sheng

Chris Sears via llvm-dev

Nov 24, 2021, 8:43:26 PM11/24/21
to llvm...@lists.llvm.org
Sheng,

MC68000 is big endian and the M68k backend supports GlobalISel.

Chris

--
Ite Ursi

Sheng Yan Chen via llvm-dev

Nov 24, 2021, 9:18:09 PM11/24/21
to llvm-dev
Hi,

Thanks for answering my question :)

AFAIK, M68K has no fully support on GISel.

The functionality is very limited, it can't even lower function call.

I'm currently trying to implement that by the way.

Thanks :)

Sheng