[llvm-dev] git llvm push not working?

Y Song via llvm-dev

Oct 25, 2019, 4:40:12 PM10/25/19
to LLVM Developers Mailing List
Hi,

I tried to push the diff
https://reviews.llvm.org/D69438
to trunk following instructions at
https://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#commit-from-git
Specially, I have done the following setup:
$ export PATH=$PATH:$TOP_LEVEL_DIR/llvm-project/llvm/utils/git-svn/

But my `git llvm push` did not really do the push as shown below:
-bash-4.4$ git llvm push
`git fetch https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project.git master` printed to stderr:
From https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project
* branch master -> FETCH_HEAD
Nothing to push
-bash-4.4$

I have the commit to be pushed in my local branch as below:
-bash-4.4$ git log --pretty=oneline
6fdc593fc973365dcd5cf4a582d97c0ae44900f6 (HEAD -> bug1) [BPF] fix a
CO-RE issue with -mattr=+alu32
3c7c3717932aba864c23edd2e48f1b28a6d532d5 (origin/master,
origin/HEAD, master) [CVP] add test for poison propagation bug
(PR43802); NFC
2724d9e12960cc1d93eeabbfc9aa1bffffa041cc build: remove
`LLVM_CXX_STD` extension point

The `git llvm push` used to work for me. Not it stopped working.

Does anybody know what have changed recently?

Thanks!

Yonghong

Tim Northover via llvm-dev

Oct 25, 2019, 5:10:43 PM10/25/19
to Y Song, LLVM Developers Mailing List
Hi Yonghong,

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 at 13:40, Y Song via llvm-dev
<llvm...@lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> The `git llvm push` used to work for me. Not it stopped working.
>
> Does anybody know what have changed recently?

We recently switched to git and GitHub as the primary repository
(yay!), so you no longer need to use "git llvm", you can push directly
if you have permissions.

However, since you didn't know about this it's likely you don't have
permission; that was handled by adding our usernames to a magic file.
So I think what you need to do now is e-mail Tom Stellard with your
GitHub user details and he'll add you to the project team so you can
commit.

Cheers.

Tim.

Y Song via llvm-dev

Oct 25, 2019, 5:23:51 PM10/25/19
to Tim Northover, LLVM Developers Mailing List
On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 2:10 PM Tim Northover <t.p.no...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Yonghong,
>
> On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 at 13:40, Y Song via llvm-dev
> <llvm...@lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > The `git llvm push` used to work for me. Not it stopped working.
> >
> > Does anybody know what have changed recently?
>
> We recently switched to git and GitHub as the primary repository
> (yay!), so you no longer need to use "git llvm", you can push directly
> if you have permissions.
>
> However, since you didn't know about this it's likely you don't have
> permission; that was handled by adding our usernames to a magic file.
> So I think what you need to do now is e-mail Tom Stellard with your
> GitHub user details and he'll add you to the project team so you can
> commit.

Tim,

Thanks for the explanation. When I hit the problem, I browsed the
mailing list and found the github discussion. I just sent an email one hour
back to Tom to request permission. I will wait and try again later.

Yonghong

Hiroshi Yamauchi via llvm-dev

Oct 28, 2019, 1:27:34 PM10/28/19
to Y Song, LLVM Developers Mailing List
I also get the same "Nothing to push" from "git llvm push" and I am supposed to have github commit access.

Is there something to set up in my local git repo tree after getting a github commit access?

Hiroshi

Tom Stellard via llvm-dev

Oct 28, 2019, 5:37:49 PM10/28/19
to Hiroshi Yamauchi, Y Song, LLVM Developers Mailing List
On 10/28/2019 10:27 AM, Hiroshi Yamauchi via llvm-dev wrote:
> I also get the same "Nothing to push" from "git llvm push" and I am supposed to have github commit access.
>
> Is there something to set up in my local git repo tree after getting a github commit access?

I would recommend just using `git push`.

-Tom

> Hiroshi
>

> On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 2:23 PM Y Song via llvm-dev <llvm...@lists.llvm.org <mailto:llvm...@lists.llvm.org>> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 2:10 PM Tim Northover <t.p.no...@gmail.com <mailto:t.p.no...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Yonghong,
> >
> > On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 at 13:40, Y Song via llvm-dev
> > <llvm...@lists.llvm.org <mailto:llvm...@lists.llvm.org>> wrote:
> > > The `git llvm push` used to work for me. Not it stopped working.
> > >
> > > Does anybody know what have changed recently?
> >
> > We recently switched to git and GitHub as the primary repository
> > (yay!), so you no longer need to use "git llvm", you can push directly
> > if you have permissions.
> >
> > However, since you didn't know about this it's likely you don't have
> > permission; that was handled by adding our usernames to a magic file.
> > So I think what you need to do now is e-mail Tom Stellard with your
> > GitHub user details and he'll add you to the project team so you can
> > commit.
>
> Tim,
>
> Thanks for the explanation. When I hit the problem, I browsed the
> mailing list and found the github discussion. I just sent an email one hour
> back to Tom to request permission. I will wait and try again later.
>
> Yonghong
>

> > Cheers.
> >
> > Tim.

Doerfert, Johannes via llvm-dev

Oct 29, 2019, 12:53:05 AM10/29/19
to Hiroshi Yamauchi, LLVM Developers Mailing List
I got my `git llvm push` setup working earlier. What I did was:
1) `git rebase origin master`, to make sure my changes are on top of master
2) `git llvm push -n master`, to check what would be pushed (dry run)
3) `git llvm push master`, do do so

Now I also did other things, e.g., set the git llvm script to use ssh
with the "git" user instead of htttps but I think the above should be
sufficient.

Note that before, on svn, `git llvm push HEAD` was what I usually did.

Cheers,
Johannes
--

Johannes Doerfert
Researcher

Argonne National Laboratory
Lemont, IL 60439, USA

jdoe...@anl.gov
signature.asc

Hiroshi Yamauchi via llvm-dev

Oct 29, 2019, 11:49:33 AM10/29/19
to Doerfert, Johannes, LLVM Developers Mailing List
What worked for me:

# Since my patch was in a local branch, set the upstream of the branch to the remote master
$ git branch --set-upstream-to=origin/master <branch-name>
# Rebase against the remote master
$ git pull --rebase
# Commit
$ git llvm push

It seemed that I needed to repeat the rebase/commit steps, probably because other commits went in between the rebase and the commit.

Thanks.