The nuXleus Project, v0.1.3 w/ Xen-enabled Support Now Available!

M. David Peterson

Nov 1, 2006, 7:35:06 AM11/1/06
to llup, peter...@gmail.com, kamael...@lists.sourceforge.net, Eve L. Maler
Hey All,

As per the post I just made to the ExtensibleForge.Net development wiki,

http://dev.extensibleforge.net/wiki/nuXle.us#LatestProjectNews

----
The next release (v0.1.3) of the nuXleus project is now available! This release coincides with the release of the rPath Xen-enabled Kernel Project, providing both an x86 mountable file-system as well as x86 Parallels/QEMU-ready Xen 3.0.3-based image files. There is also the standard VMWare Player image .

Each compressed release file is under 100MB.  The uncompressed VMWare Player image file is ~350MB, which should both fit on and run from a 512MB Flash Drive (though I would recommend using a 1GB Flash Drive as a baseline minimum.)

From the release notes,

This release contains the following runtime and application library's (please see extended list of applications still to come),

  • 4Suite 1.0
  • Amara 1.1.9
  • Amplee 0.2.1a
  • Atomixlib 0.6.1a
  • CherryPy 3.0.0 Beta 2
  • ejabberd 1.1.2
  • Ruby 1.8.5
  • Python 2.4.1
  • SQLite 3.2.2
  • Subversion 1.4.0
  • OpenSSH(Client+Server) 4.4p1
  • Apache 2.0.59
  • RSync 2.6.8
  • Mono 1.1.18
  • darcs 1.0.8

As well as your standard Linux baseline commandline toolset.

Still to come before the application list is complete,

  • IronPython Community Edition r3
  • IKVM.NET 0.30
  • Saxon on .NET 1.8 + Extension Functions
  • AspectXML 1.0 and AtomicXML 0.8 XSLT Library's
  • FXSL 2.0 XSLT 2.0 Library
  • Vista Smalltalk XBAP Web Application Library w/ Built-in Jabber/XMPP Support
  • Kamaelia 1.0.1

We hope to have this list of applications integrated and begin the testing phase later today, November 1st, 2006
----

Once the above list of applications have been integrated and tested, I will update this post accordingly.

PLEASE NOTE: Once the list of application runtime and library files are complete, we will then place focus on the integration and deployment of the applications that build and extend from these applications, which will include (of course!) full support for LLUP/Blip Messaging.  While it is undetermined which mechanism will become the final deployment tool (darcs, Subversion, Subversion WebDAV, RSync, and/or the Atom-based application deployment engine that is being built as part of the Extf.Net library (see: http://dev.extensibleforge.net/browser/trunk/Base)  or a combination thereof are all potential candidates.  In many cases these will be deployed as XBAP applications (XAML-based web application files) which will have cross-browser/cross-platform support for IE, Fx/Moz, Opera, and Netscape on Windows and OSX sometime during the first half of 2007, with support for Linux sometime thereafter.

One last item that is not on this list: Support for SAML v2.0 will become integrated into all of this as some point in (hopefully!) the not too distant future.  We need to make a determination of what platform we plan to move forward with in this regard, so at this stage of the game any suggestions that anyone might have in this regards will be graciously accepted for evaluation. :)

Also, I will be posting a modified version of this announcement later this morning (will coincide with the rPath folks Xen-enabled Press Release scheduled for ~8am PST this morning.) to my XML.com blog.  If the content contained in that post seems strangely familiar, you'll know why. ;)

Enjoy your collective mornings!

--

/M:D

M. David Peterson
http://mdavid.name | http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354

M. David Peterson

Nov 1, 2006, 8:17:53 AM11/1/06
to llup, peter...@gmail.com, kamael...@lists.sourceforge.net, Eve L. Maler
QUICK NOTE: To login to the virtualized OS,

username: root
password: Won't ask for one.

For those of you in whom just gasped with horror, please keep in mind,

* This is designed as a *somewhat* throw away OS.  With the final release will come the ability to keep your data-files in sync with both a local as well as remote back-up system.
* This is not a primary OS -- This is an appliance that runs via a primary host OS.
* This is still an 0.x.x release.  As we get closer to a 1.0 release, this will most definitely be changing.
* As soon as you log-in, you really should consider the following combination of keystrokes,

> useradd -m <username>
> passwd <username>
[enter password information]
> exit

then login with your chosen user account, using,

> su -

to perform system level operations as needed.

Credit: Sylvain for cursing my usage and ridding me of my *eveel* habit of,

> su - mdavid

when logged in as root.  [Yeah, yeah -- I come from a Windows-based hacking background -- cut me some slack! ;) :D]

Sylvain Hellegouarch

Nov 1, 2006, 8:57:16 AM11/1/06
to ll...@googlegroups.com, peter...@gmail.com, kamael...@lists.sourceforge.net, Eve L. Maler

>> useradd -m <username>
>> passwd <username>
> [enter password information]
>> exit
>
> then login with your chosen user account, using,
>
>> su -
>
> to perform system level operations as needed.
>
> Credit: Sylvain for cursing my usage and ridding me of my *eveel* habit of,

I indeed did curse you :)

>> su - mdavid
>
> when logged in as root. [Yeah, yeah -- I come from a Windows-based hacking
> background -- cut me some slack! ;) :D]

True and I will therefore add you should log in as your regular user and
only "su -" to become root when needed :)

I'll show you the light.

- Sylvain

M. David Peterson

Nov 1, 2006, 9:00:35 AM11/1/06
On 11/1/06, Sylvain Hellegouarch <s...@defuze.org> wrote:

True and I will therefore add you should log in as your regular user and
only "su -" to become root when needed :)

Oops... Sorry -- that was meant to be implied via  "to perform system level functions ..."

I'll show you the light.

Just as long as the light doesn't originate from a bug zapper -- Thanks! :D