Re: [occi-wg] Microsoft: "Atom Publishing Protocol (AtomPub) as the future direction"

M. David Peterson

May 12, 2009, 12:18:34 PM5/12/09
to Alexis Richardson, Sam Johnston, occ...@ogf.org, llup
On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Alexis Richardson <alexis.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
List this is OT but may be of just enough interest to those following
David's emails, that I am going to cc occi-wg.

David,

Check out: http://www.reversehttp.net/reverse-http-spec.html

It's a way to make each node be a server and a client.  Built by one of our lot.

Interesting.  Given this conversation extended from one of Sylvain's posts, and given that Sylvain happens to be one of the editors on the LLUP specification, and given that LLUP -- at first glance, anyway -- seems to blend nicely with the reverse-http spec linked to above, and -- just to add one more layer of "given that" into the mix -- given that LLUP is built firmly on top of both Atom and AtomPub, I've CC'd the LLUP working group as well.

For those of you wondering what LLUP is in reference to, see: http://dev.llup.org/ < I bring this up as depending on the use case, LLUP /could/ in various forms and capacities be used to manage messaging pub/sub workflows in a decentralized, heterogeneous cloud environment.  In fact, an interesting and related use case provided by Tim Lynch from Cornell University can be found @ http://groups.google.com/group/llup/browse_thread/thread/76411666bb2e7542/8fd42070c72b6d62?#8fd42070c72b6d62

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
Co-Founder & Chief Architect, 3rd&Urban, LLC
Email: m.d...@3rdandUrban.com | m.d...@amp.fm
Mobile: (206) 999-0588
http://3rdandUrban.com | http://amp.fm | http://broadcast.oreilly.com/m-david-peterson/

Sylvain Hellegouarch

May 13, 2009, 3:53:47 AM5/13/09
to ll...@googlegroups.com, Alexis Richardson, Sam Johnston, occ...@ogf.org, llup
Hi All,

I wasn't aware of Reverse HTTP. It looks quite interesting and I'm
surprised we haven't heard more of it yet.

Just as reminder for those who didn't follow, LLUP is a simple messaging
format which focuses on making each message as stateless as possible while
carrying contextual information that would allow any recipient to consume,
interpret and perform intelligent actions on each message.

This is obviously particularly suited to the cloud since each node within
doesn't really need to know nor even care how the message arrived. It just
sees a message, deals with it and pushes another message to the cloud.
Like David said: decentralized, heterogeneous cloud environment.

In that context, Reverse HTTP is rather interesting to transport LLUP
messages since LLUP doesn't care about this aspect. As far as it goes you
could use HTTP, XMPP or pigeons. The only important aspect from LLUP's
perspective is the fact the message is in the cloud and some node will
pick it up.

- Sylvain
--
Sylvain Hellegouarch
http://www.defuze.org

M. David Peterson

May 13, 2009, 9:38:41 AM5/13/09
to Alexis Richardson, s...@defuze.org, occ...@ogf.org, ll...@googlegroups.com, Tony Garnock-Jones
On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 2:30 AM, Alexis Richardson <alexis.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sylvain - thanks!  I'm cc'ing Tony who wrote the reverse http spec.

I suspect this is now OT for OCCI, but please continue directly, or if
enough OCCI-WG people are interested, on-list.

Just want to quickly jump in and point out the fact that while I'm excited to take part in this particular discussion, I'm away all morning and throughout most of the afternoon (based on MDT) so it will be a while before I'm able to chime back in.  None-the-less, looking forward to jumping in head first upon my return.

NOTE: We should probably take OCCI off and encourage those who'd like to follow along and/or join in to join the conversation via the LLUP group @ http://groups.google.com/group/llup