LJCPA Community Participation & Representation

Suzanne Baracchini

Aug 11, 2023, 8:46:25 PM8/11/23
to ljcpa-byla...@googlegroups.com

To: LJCPA Bylaws Update Committee & all concerned,

Based on my experience as LJCPA Officer (Secretary) since April 2022 I would like to present areas of the Bylaws & Operating Procedures that may benefit from improvement and hereby offer potential solutions. Many of these solutions, if adopted, would require the increased participation of LJCPA Trustees above and beyond attending one monthly meeting. I will send my comments by topic in separate emails so as not to overload you in one foul swoop!

CP 600-24 Terms & Conditions - States:

3. Community Participation and Representation

3.1 Membership The CPG will ensure that voting members of recognized CPGs, to the greatest extent possible, represent the entire community and community interests, including homeowners, renters, individuals with and without school age children, and diverse age groups. The CPG and its voting members should routinely seek robust community participation in the CPG planning and implementation process to serve the best long-term interest of the community at large. The CPG shall submit a detailed written Community Participation and Representation Plan to the City Council along with its application for recognition (see Exhibit A).

Exhibit A https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/default/files/participation_and_representation_plan_appendices.pdf

LJCPA already has many of these tools in place to increase community participation and representation but there is more we can do, such as:

  • LJCPA Flyer & Agendas in Community hubs - Library, Grocery Stores, Coffee Shops, Schools etc. (we need volunteers for this)

  • CPG Website & Social Media

  • Meeting Time & Length - Meetings should start no earlier than 6pm and should have and end time eg: 6-8pm

  • Meeting Venue - needs to be accessible to all with adequate parking ✔

  • Cross Pollinate Messaging with other local groups (LJTC, LJSA, LJ Community Center, LJ Foundation, LJVMA, media other than LJLight etc,)

  • Host informal events/town hall meetings

  • Request City of San Diego, Council Members & other local groups Social Media Managers to share the LJCPA Social Media content

  • Utilize online surveys on a more frequent basis to solicit community input

  • Track Outcomes of Community Outreach Efforts

    • Number of voters in elections

    • Social media metrics

    • Meeting attendance

    • Survey results

  • Identify community members who historically have faced barriers to participate in CPA meetings and demonstrate our efforts to reach them (this needs to be in the LJCPA Annual Report)

More to follow.........

--

Suzanne Baracchini

Trustee & Secretary

La Jolla Community Planning Association

PO Box 889, La Jolla CA 92038

https://lajollacpa.org

in...@lajollacpa.org

Become a member of LJCPA.

Your voice & vote count! Plus its free!

Use this link to join us! LJCPA Membership

Use this link to view 2023 Agendas & Minutes